Greater Latrobe Field Hockey Supports Breast Cancer Awarness

In the month of October, Greater Latrobe wears pink. This is a symbol of solidarity and support for the brave who have been diagnosed with, are battling, or are in the process of recovering from breast cancer. The devoted staff and students at Latrobe seize any opportunity to stand by their community and those in need. The Latrobe field hockey team is no exception. This compassionate team is made up of a tight-knit group of girls. These girls rallied around their coach, Kaytie Costic, as she courageously battles breast cancer. 

Many of the members of the field hockey team have known their coach for numerous years. They have formed a strong connection throughout these years and will support her no matter what. Coach Kaytie’s diagnosis was heartbreaking and impacted the entire team. Junior field hockey team member Sammy Pedicone reflects on the experience that she shared with her team in finding out their coach’s diagnosis. She says, “It was definitely a hard moment to see her get so upset in front of us.”

Although she has now stepped down from her position as coach, she still made a point to come to support the girls at one of their last home games. Sammy says, “She is going through a lot and it just shows that she is not giving up and was still there to support us.” Sammy retells the story as being a bittersweet moment for the team as a whole. Immeasurable emotion filled the air as the entire stadium took a moment of silence to recognize those who have or are battling breast cancer. 

Mrs. Costic’s loved ones and dedicated players are appreciative of everything that she has done for them and show her this same love. Her friends and family united to help provide her with meals. They wanted to alleviate some of her burdens and responsibilities during this time. Mrs. Costic has always provided support and unwavering commitment to the team, so they wanted to reciprocate the same positive energy for her. The Meal Train is an online sign-up system for friends and family to join. This established a schedule so that various meals could be delivered to her. Demand for these spots in the schedule rose rapidly with all spots being filled in an instant. The meal schedule was jam-packed with an assortment of meals for her. This love and support from the team shows just how much they care about her. 

Sammy decided to take a further stand by creating her own supportive shirts for the team. Sammy used her participation in the Cats Customs class this school year. She says, “There are so many opportunities and different things to do and explore.” She decided to take advantage of the resources she has gained from this class to create something meaningful for her team and coach.

At the beginning of October, Sammy designed a t-shirt for her team to wear in support of their coach. To make it symbolic to the team, Sammy included a favorite quote of her coach, which is “Rome wasn’t built in a day” on the back of the shirt. Coach Kaytie would often say, “Rome was not built in a day” to encourage the team. She often says this to remind the team that it takes time in order to create something great. This perspective gives the team a fresh outlook on their season, on life. Having this mindset allows the team to be patient and realistic in their expectations of each game because they understand that the best things in life take time. This mindset not only helps the team in field hockey but also outside of the sport in their everyday life.

Coach Kaytie has been an inspiration by displaying so much strength during these strenuous times. Her team admires and has immense amounts of respect for her. They are prepared to do everything they can to support her. These Wildcats lead by example and hope their acts will inspire others in the school district to step up and provide for others in need.