Generation Leading Wildcat Store

Generation Leading Wildcat Store

The Greater Latrobe Student Store,  also known as the Wildcat Store, has become a standout feature of Greater Latrobe Senior High School, growing and evolving over the years. Not only does it serve as a valuable learning opportunity for student workers, it is also a source of convenience for the entire student body, and community at large

The Wildcat Store, run by the Greater Latrobe Student Council for over 15 years, has become a foundation of the school community. After only seven years, it expanded to a new location to accommodate for a growth in interest from the student body. While no current employees witnessed the entire development, it’s now the duty of the Student Council and the student body to carry on its legacy. The Wildcat Store embodies our commitment to growth and teamwork, representing the spirit of Greater Latrobe Sr. High School.

Under the guidance of the Greater Latrobe Student Council, the student store has seen significant and steady improvements gaining inventory and sales from the student body, earning admiration from other high schools around the area. 

Elected student council representatives and officers have the privilege of working in the store during their free time throughout the school day. In this position, they gain essential skills in operating cash registers, restocking refrigerators and cabinets, managing inventory, and monitoring orderly presentation of food and clothing items. Running the Wildcat Store grants students insight to a professional work environment. 

The Wildcat Store, a student-led and operated business, gets its guidance and oversight from Mr. Scott Marker, who advises student council, yearbook, and teaches English. Marker not only mentors the student employees teaching them the ways of effective business but also manages the store’s online presence.

In addition to its physical presence, the Wildcat Store holds a digital platform, allowing students, parents, alumni, or anyone with an interest to shop. Marker handles the processing of online orders. He gives guidance to students fulfilling these orders within the store. He also offers advice on the proper packaging and efficient shipping of individual orders. 

Marker shared his insight about the inspiration behind expanding the store from solely a physical presence to adding on an online storefront. He said, “Having an online store was mostly about getting more accessibility. For instance, an alumni that may live out of state, being able to keep them up-to-date with apparel and merchandise was ultimately the goal.” 

The Wildcat Store maintains a wide range of inventory selected to cater to the wide range of people and preferences of our school community.  The store offers a variety of snacks and beverages for students to purchase throughout the day or to take home after school. 

“I go there regularly for skittles,” said sophomore Andy Tatsch. 

“I love to get chips and/or Reeses peanut butter cups, or I get Sour Patch Kids. I do like Sparkling Ice Lemonade,” said sophomore Eli Toth.   

An extensive selection of apparel includes sweatshirts, shorts, sweatpants, and t-shirts.  Students can express their school spirit with apparel purchased in the school itself. Clothing. Cups. Water bottles. Lanyards. Stickers. Magnets. Jewelry. Golf towels. Garden flags. These are only a few examples of the large variety of apparel and merchandise the store houses. 

Working closely with  Marker are three students who have assumed leadership roles within the store. Leading as the Student Store manager for the 2023-2024 school year is sophomore Karlee Clark. Juniors Maddy Petruzzi and Chiara Mongelluzzo stepped up as assistant managers. These three individuals work in close partnership with Marker, demonstrating proactive teamwork ensuring the store at its most efficient. Additionally, they offer support to their fellow store workers, contributing to the ongoing function of the store.

Sophomore Maddie Johnson was regarding the influence of the Student Store on the school community’s spirit. She expressed her point of view stating, “I feel like the store just affects students because they like to snack and if it’s closed people are usually upset, and if it’s open people love to go there especially when they haven’t eaten or just want something small.”