National Art Honor Society’s Special Opportunity At the Latrobe Art Center

Cassidy Sullivan’s art is on display at the Latrobe Art Center.

The art department at Greater Latrobe High School is a place for creativity and self expression, which can lead to amazing opportunities students can experience nowhere else. Many people in the area will be biased in saying the Art Department at the high school is one of the best in the area.  

For the first time members, of the National Art Society have had the chance to submit original artwork to display their artwork at the Latrobe Art Center, located at 819 Ligonier St, Latrobe, PA 15650. This unique opportunity has opened the door for the students to experience what it’s like to sell their work and overall professionally display work. “We are excited to have a show in the community,” said Amy Balko, ceramics teacher.

“When the work is displayed solely in a school, the audience can be a bit limited, so I think the NAHS show at the Latrobe is a wonderful opportunity for our students,” added Lydia Mack an art teacher.

Gabi Nastuck, the Director of the Latrobe Art Center, approached Mrs.Mack about having a show at the Latrobe Art Center to feature the National Art Society. “I think she is enthusiastic about displaying artwork by any and all community members,” said Mack “Ms. Nastuck is passionate about art and equally passionate about getting students of all ages involved in making and displaying works of art, so I think that she actively looks for opportunities to showcase student work.” added Mack
The display will consist of over 78 pieces of 2D and 3D created by all student. The display will be hanging at the Latrobe Art Center, a gallery-quality space that is available to the whole community or public for viewing, during the month of March and an opening reception to view the art will be on March 9, 2017 from 6pm to 8pm. Some pieces will be available for purchase, the price and contact information will be on the piece description.

“I think it’s a great idea for NAHS to participate in the art exhibit. Being able to enter pieces into an exhibit, not only gives us the benefit of displaying our different works for the public to view, but we also had the option to price our individual pieces for perhaps a buyer,” said Rachel Garbeglio, a member of NAHS said. “In my eyes it’s extremely important as a young artist to put your work out there and let the public see it, for the reason that you could potentially find someone interested in your work. You could not only be doing something you love but also making a profit out of it,” added Rachel.

“I would just say that I think it’s a great opportunity to display our artwork in Latrobe so that not only the students but also the community can view the artwork” said Lily Currie another NAHS member who submitted their work
For some, displaying artwork is a challenge, to others it may be the stepping stone for even greater things. “I would advise anyone unsure about displaying their work in a professional setting, that as long as you are putting your best work forward in a venue that suits you, personally, it’s worth a try.  It can be very rewarding to have your artwork in a public display, and an honor to have your work selected for a show involving a jury or panel of judges,” said Mack.