Stepping into Style

Shoes are a statement of style and personality. When it comes to shoes, certain brands have gained popularity in the hearts and closets of high schoolers in 2024. Four of the iconic brands are UGG’s, Converse, Nike Dunk’s and Crocs. Each brand is known for its unique style that has gained them massive popularity.

UGG: Comfort in Every Step
UGG’s were originally designed for surfers in Australia in 1978. Australian surfer, Brian Smith moved to Southern California with a vision. After many trials, he found sheepskin was the perfect material. The sheepskin provided insulation and comfort that was suitable to keep surfers’ feet warm after coming out of the cold ocean.

Now, UGG shoes have become a symbol of casual style and relaxation. Popular styles include Platform, Ultra Mini Ugg Boots, Tasman’s, Classic Slipper, and Neumel’s. With a diverse range of styles, there is an UGG for everyone.

Junior, Corey McHenry happens to be lucky enough to own all of the popular styles. Adding up to a total of five pairs. “I’ve always loved UGG’s, I had the Tasman’s before they were even popular!”

Social media plays a big part in brand advertising. Through TikTok, influencers inspired Corey to buy more. The neutral color of UGG’s keep it simple to easily pair with any style. Corey explained, “Since the color is so versatile, it is easy to pick out cute outfits.”

Converse: Stepping with Style
Converse, throughout the years, has remained an iconic footwear brand that has stood the test of time. Chuck Taylor’s were initially invented to be a basketball shoe, but the timeless design allow it to remain a staple shoe for any activity.

More recently, platform Converse has added height to trendy outfits. Converse can be worn with any choice of clothing. Many people choose to casually wear with jeans, leggings, and shorts, but can easily be dressed up with a dress or skirt.

Junior, Cali Dyche has always rocked Converse. “I love Converse because they match with all of my outfits and they are so comfy.” Cali’s favorite pair are her embroidered sage green high-tops. They remind her of her favorite season of spring. “My Converse make me happy because they make me fearless.” She explained that she is ready to conquer the day when she feels confident and stylish.

Crocs: Rocking it while Crocing it
Crocs are an unique type of shoe that has gained popularity. They are known for their comfortable lightweight design made of closed-cell resin material called croslite. This provides cushioning and endless support. Available in any color imaginable, people enjoy collecting fun colors to add a pop to their outfits. The classic clogs are also available in flats, sandals, and even boots ensuring a style to suit you.

Despite their unique appearance, Crocs are loved for their practicality. Made to be water resistant and easily cleaned, Crocs won’t weigh you down in water. Whether you’re strolling along a beach, seeking comfort, running errands, or just need a quick slip-on shoe, Crocs make it a fun and comfortable option.

Junior, Jack Dixon is a Croc collector. Owning six pairs, Jack has a favorite. “For Christmas, Izzy [girlfriend] bought me the Cars Lightning McQueen Crocs. I really like them because they match my friend Landon’s!” Additionally for Christmas, he received Crocs that are Christmas-themed. He explained, “They are red, green, and very fuzzy.” Jack enjoys owning a variety of Crocs, adding a twist to his fits.

Nike Dunk’s: Dunking on Trends
Nike Dunk’s are iconic sneakers that were first introduced as a basketball shoe in 1985. After being released for basketball, the skateboarding community took them over. With so many different styles, the versatile design has caused them to gain popularity as streetwear. Coming in high-top, mid, and low-top styles, people love them for their looks and comfort. Nike Dunk’s are sure to turn heads and make a statement. Sneakerheads around the world are getting creative designs and personalizing their perfect shoe through Nike Dunk Low By You.

Junior, Jaycee Bodnar has jumped on the Dunk train. Her favorite pairs are her multi-colored blue and sage green and white pair. “The green and white ones I bought with Elliot [boyfriend] for Sadie’s to match and my blue ones were a gift from Elliot.” Nike Dunks are a trendy way to express yourself through style. Jaycee explained. “I was inspired to get them because they are in right now and also very comfortable.