Avery Federico: Revisited

Westmorland Preforming Arts dance captain, Avery Federico, talks about summer camps and her plans for the future

When Avery Federico was four she stepped on the stage for the first time and has been acting ever since.  Her mother decided to put her and her brother, Ben, in theater.  Neither her mother nor her father had experience in the performing arts world, but both of her grandparents were very talented.  

She’s been with Westmoreland Performing Arts (WPA) for 11 years.  “WPA has been more welcoming than any other company I’ve been with in the past.  Working with their professional actors has been cool.  Seeing how they work has let me get a better idea of what to expect in the future,” said Avery.   

Her favorite role was when she played Annie in Annie.  “It was a turning point for me, it was the first time I took acting seriously.  I really understood what I had to do and how to execute it,”  said Avery.  She felt the role was perfect for her and came at just the right time.  Avery says that Daddy Warbuks, played by John Noble, was perfect for the role.     

A typical show takes three weeks to produce. Music is learned in the first week, then the show gets blocked and choreographed, and numbers get run.  Tech week (the last week) is used to assemble costumes and clean up the show.  “Tech week is a fast-paced, stressful week.  You have to know what you are doing.  But all your hard work pays off in the end,” said Avery.

This summer Westmorland Performing Arts has two summer camp programs with classes in the morning and rehearsal in the afternoon.  “Summer camp is a perfect way for everybody to get together, make friends, and have fun.” This summer WPA is doing Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 in July and Grease in June.   

The Great Comet of 1812 is adapted from a selection from Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace.  Natasha Rostova arrives in Moscow to await the return of her fiancé from the war.  She falls under the spell of the roguish Anatole, and it is up to Pierre, a family friend, to help her and her reputation.  

Grease follows high school students Danny Zuko and Sandy Dumbrowski in the 1950s as they figure out how to make their summer romance survive school. 

Avery is a student choreographer at WPA who is learning how to choreograph shows.  She is working on choreographing shows with the other dance captains.  Their job is to make up the dances that go with every song. “I listen to the song or what part of the song I have to do, then I make spots to see where everyone is.  Then I start doing formation changes.  I start with a rough idea and then try to feel the music,” said Avery. 

“I don’t want to do something in musical theater in the future.  I plan on getting a real job, something in the medical field, and then getting a master’s degree to teach dance.  I want to share my experiences and thoughts with young dancers that will help them in the long run.”