Quiz League

Quiz+League

Each year, the Greater Latrobe Quiz League participates in different tournaments. In order to be in the quiz league there are no requirements, all students are welcome. However, if there are too many students interested Mrs. Kubus provides a “tryout test” and the highest scorers make the team. This year there is a total of 20 students in the league.

There are three different leagues the team participates in. The Mountain Pleasant League, the Westmoreland Quiz League, and Hometown IQ airs on Channel 4, KDKA. The Mountain Pleasant League has two competitions, and one tournament day: The Westmoreland Quiz League, the winning team goes to states.

On January 29, 2015 the Quiz League participated in the all day tournament at Mountain Pleasant High School. To attend, the participating students got excused from school at 8:00AM. A total of 18 different schools competed. Greater Latrobe’s team got 4th place for the Junior Varsity Team and 5th place for the Varsity Team.

The top three scorers, Stephanie Kubus, Howard Payne and Joey Marcinik participated on Hometown I High Q on channel 4 on February 14, 2015. “I felt most excited to find out exactly what Hometown High Q was all about. I have heard many things about it, so I had a general idea of what it was, but I have never participated in it,” said senior, Joey Marcinik. In the match, the team won against two other schools in the Western Pennsylvania region and all three players will return later in match to tape round two. The first round was taped on February 14, 2015 and was aired on television on March 7, 2015.

“I would say this year so far has been average. We had some better years, and some worst. Right now we are in the middle,” said coordinator Mrs. Kubus.