Overflowing With Gracie

The Beautiful Season of Fall!
Beautiful Fall Tree in Ligonier
Gracie Mahanes
Beautiful Fall Tree in Ligonier

Drinking my Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte with light ice and pumpkin spice cold foam on top, while watching the leaves turn from green to brown brings me joy. The weather gets colder and the clothes get warmer (Sweaters! Sweatshirts! Uggs!) 

When the weather starts to become cold that is when you know that pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks are coming back. The lattes have a rich taste of pumpkin and cinnamon that just leaves your tastebuds craving more. This year they have pumpkin spice cold foam which has a layer of cinnamon on top. When you combine those two things your mouth is left watering. I love pairing the latte with a pumpkin and pepita loaf. The combination is not too overwhelming with pumpkin, it is just perfect.

The weather is changing from boiling and warm to chill and cozy. The leaves are turning from green to yellow, red, and brown. The crisp morning air nicks your nose as you leave for school, but in the afternoon you are hit by a heat wave that leaves your body sweaty and toasty. The weather leaves you in a predicament of whether to dress warm or cold. I love driving down the road and seeing all the trees; so bright they burn the eyes because of how colorful.

Pumpkin carving is a yearly tradition; my family gathers in our garage and has a competition on who carved the best pumpkin. We are a competitive family, which usually leads to us trash-talking each other. Something about sticking your hands in the gooey pumpkin guts just screams Halloween to me. We save every pumpkin seed we can, so we can bake the seeds for a snack. My step-dad bakes them with salt and sometimes he even spices them up with cinnamon and brown sugar.

Haunted houses are my favorite, but not at the same time. I love seeing all the different rooms in the house and the different themes. I love all the costumes and how these characters go far and beyond to act the part. I do not like when I get chased by the chainsaws though, they frighten me. This one place, Haunted Hollow, has a haunted house, corn maze, and a hayride all in one- the package deal. When you are waiting in line all you can hear is people screaming with terror. The screams amplify the anticipation.  

Cuddling up on the couch with a warm and cozy blanket while watching Halloween movies leaves a big smile on my face. (“Hocus Pocus!” “Halloweentown!” “The Nightmare Before Christmas!”) So far I have watched “Hocus Pocus” three times this season, it’s my favorite! I love watching movies with my boyfriend, Zyan. Zyan is getting a little annoyed with “Hocus Pocus” on repeat. We always go down into the basement turn on the fireplace, bring all the blankets and popcorn, and watch movies all the time. 

Trick or treating may be for little children, but who said I cannot go? I love trick-or-treating in my neighborhood because they give out full-size candy bars (“Hershey’s!” “Kit-Kat’s!” “Butterfingers!”) All my friends meet at my house and get ready all together. Usually Sage and I adventure through different interesting costumes like fairies and bats, but this year I am doing a couple costume with Zyan. Zyan and I are Eve and Wall-E from the movie “Wall-E.” 

After we trick-or-treat we always head back to my house and count our candy. We usually trade our candy, you can either accept the trade, ask for more candy, or decline the offer. Say you have a Snicker and you do not want it, but your friend has a Hershey bar that looks delicious you can ask your friend to trade candy with you. Your friend can either accept it, which means they agree with your offer. Ask for more candy because they think their candy is worth more. Your friend can reject the offer, which means they decline.  

Fall to me is when I blossom. I love all the fall fashion like sweaters, flannels, and Ugg Boots. I love the browns, yellows, and reds of the leaves as they begin to fall off the trees. I love the Halloween movies that are constantly on the TV. I love Halloween, dressing up with my friends, and trick or treating. To me, fall is not just the in-between between summer and winter, fall is ghoultastic.