Greater Latrobe Forensics Team Competes at States

Students prepare for victory for the 2015 State Championships

Greater Latrobe’s forensics team is on a roll. With states just days away, they’ve been very busy preparing for the competition. First though, there is state qualifiers which will be held on February 7th at Trinity High School. The schools in each district of Pennsylvania will compete for spots at States.
GLSD’s Forensics team, run by Mrs. Bompiani-Smith, will compete against other schools who are in the National Forensics League from around Westmoreland County. The top two from each category will move on to states, which takes place on March 19th to the 21st and is held at Susquehanna University. “Our team always does pretty well,” says Bompiani-Smith.
In each competition, usually about 15-20 events. For state qualifiers, the top two teams in each event will proceed to states. Some of the different events include drama, radio announcing (which is a live broadcast through an actual radio station), prose, original oratory, commentary speaking, humor, and poetry. “Forensics is such a huge thing, it’s hard to put it down into three words.” Said Mrs. Bompiani-Smith.
Abbey Ford and Taylor Sigut, both juniors, have been duo partners since their first year on the team, as freshmen. The past two years they have made it to states, and last year they made it the whole way to the semi-finals at states. Abbey states that “when looking for our duo, we make sure it has a good mix of humor and drama. Overall there needs to be a message that we are trying to get across to the judges.” This year, the duo is doing “A Brief Primer on the Female of the Species” by Julia Neva. A piece which takes the audience through the history of women and the struggles they have faced trying to have a voice in society. The two have to get through state qualifiers as well as a small competition at Latrobe to get to qualifiers since there are only two groups. This is the first year that the two of them have had to compete prior to state qualifiers.
A spike in interest for forensics at Latrobe has occurred this year. “New members have joined the team and are trying to “get their foot on the door” so to speak.” Said Ford. “Though this does mean we have to get through another competition to get to states, I’m happy more students are finding an interest in Forensics.” Mrs. Bompiani-Smith is happy, yet a little weary about having so many new freshman in Forensics. “Though it is nice that we are getting so many new people, it is rough on the upperclassman because know they know they really have to fight for their spots.”
Forensics is a great route to take, but it’s a constant struggle between being committed to Forensics and other school activities. “Students are punished for missing practices so they have to choose between sports and drama,” says Bompiani-Smith. It’s a difficult thing because there’s only so much that students can do and have time for. “I have to give credit to those who are really committed though, being on the “nerdy” Forensics team and all. The students who really get into it though, have fun with it and I’m very proud of everyone on our team,” said Ford
Forensics is a great experience for all who join and states is just one of the things that students a part of the program can work up to and be proud of, among the many other competitions, students always have the opportunity to achieve greatness and show off their talent.
Forensics is also a great way to reach out and try something new that may be a little uncomfortable, as well as an excellent opportunity to grow as a person in just about every aspect. “Forensics has been a great avenue to becoming more comfortable with public speaking,” said Ariana Palmer, a member of the team. “Forensics has allowed me to express myself artistically and lyrically in a way I didn’t think was possible. Before joining, it was terrifying, but now I anticipate my school projects and speeches,” said skilled prose speaker for the team, Samantha Friedline.