Prominent Police Roles

Police officers play an important role in society and are an important part of our schools. They make us feel safe and protected when we are in the building. Police have worked their hardest to get to where they are today with Officer Daerr being one of them. He has put in countless hours of hard work and it is paying off.

The police have been an active part of our school system for years, always being helpful and kind. “I believe this started through Mr Porembka. He had a vision to build our police force in the school. I started 10 years ago after retiring from a 25-year state police job.”

“After seeing the success of our program other local schools started to mirror us. That is a cool thing to see, that because of us other schools are getting more involved. The transition to Latrobe has been easy. I have always coached kids and it was a good fit right away,” said Daerr.

The bonds we have with our coworkers are some of the most important relationships in life,” I love working with them. We’ve been working together for 30 years. Ten of them are retired troopers and are veterans of the police department.”

Police get to be a part of our everyday lives but also get to participate and help with different activities outside of school, “Interacting with the kids helping them, and being around them has to be my favorite thing. They are used to seeing us daily and having police cars outside.”

Officer Daerr has made some true bonds and this new experience will be tough but exciting. “I will miss this 100%. I will still be in charge and involved regularly, attend events, and be back sometimes as well.”

On March 11, he will be leaving GlSD to become captain of the city police department around April 1. “I am excited to bring in the culture we have here to down in town. That helping culture is not US versus them it’s just US. We want to bring an approachable friendly and involved atmosphere. We have a small town so I believe these are very reachable goals.”

He has proven to be successful and hardworking in his career and everyone at Latrobe can’t wait to see him prosper from this new opportunity. Thank you and good luck Officer Daerr!