Burd’s Compelling Story on Why the Veteran is Important

Angie Burd

Gabi Standing Proud with State and District VFW Commanders and Auxiliary Commanders

Veterans are brave heroes who have served for a duration of time in the active military. Being individuals who consistently put their lives on the line, they deserve the utmost respect of all citizens. However, for senior Gabi Burd, a veteran is so much more. 

Being from a family with military roots, the flag holds more meaning than just broad stripes and stars. “My mom has been in the Army for 27 years and she recently retired last year,” explained Burd. 

The legacy runs deep within Burd’s family. Gabi’s great uncle was her mother’s inspiration for making a long-lasting impact on our country. “We are a gold star family, which is the immediate lineage of a fallen service member who passed while serving in a time of conflict,” referenced Burd. It is safe to say that each family member can give insight into the military heritage of Gabi’s bloodline.

Roots Run Deep

Mother

MSG (Master Sergeant) 

Angela Burd

Army

Grandfather

SSG (Staff Sergeant)

Jim Perry 

Army

Grandfather

PVT (Private)

Gene Burd

Army

Great Grandfather

1LT (1st Lieutenant)

Harmon Burd

Air Force 

Great Grandfather 

CPL (Corporal)

George DeValerio

Air Force

Great Grandfather

Earl Fillmore Sr.

Air Force

Great Grandfather

Harry Moore Sr.

Army

Great Uncle 

SFC (Sergeant First Class)

Earl Fillmore Jr.

Army

Great Uncle 

COL (Colonel)

Harry Moore Jr.

Air Force

Along with three cousins who served in the Marines, two in the Army, and one in the Air Force. As well as numerous other distant relatives.

Although Gabi’s family is her main incentive for making a mark on veterans, Burd’s teachers are an immense part of her success. Mr. Pratt, a history teacher at Greater Latrobe Senior High School, observed Burd’s love for veterans and assisted her with getting involved in The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S., and more specifically, The Voice of Democracy. “I responded to the prompt ‘Why is the Veteran Important’, and submitted it. I was not expecting much to come of my essay,” stated Burd.

Gabi was in for a significant surprise. Her hard work paid off as she won the local post, districts, and then advanced to states. Mr. Simpson, a social studies teacher at Greater Latrobe Senior High School, explained that “no student from this school has ever gone this far before so he was really excited and proud to keep advancing me through this process,” describing Burd.

As time progressed it was time for Gabi to travel to Gettysburg for the VFW Voice of Democracy Winter banquet. There, she found out she placed fifth in the state out of all contestants. “I met a bunch of new people that I have never met before from all across the state. I also met veterans and VFW leadership that are very high up in the organization. It was very nice to meet everybody and take a trip,” explained Burd.

Gabi stated that the trip was nothing short of a great experience. Not only did she learn more about veterans and democracy in America but she learned more about herself. “Supporting veterans is a great thing, and voicing your opinion in the essay is a good way to express how you feel about the topic,” referenced Burd.

She recommends that everyone gets involved with VFW Democracy of America, because of the impact it had on her life. The scholarships she received will help her further her academic career beyond high school. “You get scholarships for winning posts, districts, and states, so everything adds up if you keep advancing,” suggested Burd.

Although Gabi plans on attending college with a premed major, in hopes of becoming a dermatologist, a piece of her heart will always belong to the military. Students like Gabi can have the freedom to advance their education because of the courageous people that fight for our country. For it is important to always be thankful– and never forget.