Talents Represent GLSH at Regionals

GLSH students attend region choir and band, some advancing to states.

Talents Represent GLSH at Regionals

“Going to regions has definitely given me an inner sense of accomplishment. Participating in large select choirs helps to solidify and amplify the techniques of my music teachers and also to give me a greater understanding of the music world” said sophomore Spencer Simpson.
On Friday, February 25, Savannah McElheny, Maddy Bucci, Jacob Lubic, Spencer Simpson, and Matthew Squire attended the region championships for PMEA choir.
“Being selected for region choir isn’t an easy task, but it is also one that can be achieved by anyone who sets their mind to it. I take a little pride but not too much. I am most proud to have participated in such an awesome group of singers,” said Simpson.
Students benefitted from the experience, and took a lot away from regionals. “Participating in regions has given me a lot more experience in working with not only a different director, but also a different choir (and a bigger one!) I’ve learned new skills for better singing and new music. I’ve taken away that a large group of talented people can do great things even in a short amount of time,” said senior, Maddy Bucci.
“Competing at regionals is a HUGE honor. I take pride in it because I was selected as a part of a large group of people to be a part of this ensemble. I’m most proud of Latrobe’s ability to learn their music by themselves and do it well,” said Bucci.
“Both Mis. Surden and Mr. Sheridan have made me become a better musician in the years that they’ve been my teachers. They’ve both inspired me to become a music teacher for always pushing me a little bit more,” said Bucci.
Spencer Simpson agrees that Latrobe’s teachers make an impact. “Miss Surden helped us prepare for the audition piece for districts. Mr. Sheridan has helped me strive to achieve musical excellence,” said Simpson.
Overall, the experience was helpful to all. Students got the opportunity to grow as a person, singer, and musician, as well as interact with other musicians and directors from all over the state. “Music festivals are HARD WORK, but completely worth it to participate in,” said Simpson.
Sophomore, Jacob Lubic, and Senior, Mara LeJuene qualified for states for band, which will be held at the end of March.
Lubic and LeJuene auditioned at regions for all-state band, where they took the top 6 out of 17.
The judges picked two excerpts from the repertoire from regions, which were different for each section. Audition excerpts were different for all instruments
“It was an amazing experience because I got to work with extraordinary talented people from 9 counties in Western PA. My musical abilities were worked and developed even more than they already are. I am extremely grateful to be moving on to states at the end of March!”