Skiers of Latrobe Assist with Special Olympics

Local high school skiers volunteered to help children with special needs hit the slopes at Seven Springs on a pleasant afternoon on February 15, 2024. According to senior Jason Spillar, “The day at seven springs was sunny with temps in the mid to high 30s.” 

This event was part of the skiing portion of the Special Olympics where athletes were encouraged and assisted by a handful of students from Greater Latrobe. “The athletes were all very nice and were a blast to work with. The only challenges we faced were a couple of falls during a race,” Spillar said.

For some volunteers this is not the first time attending the Special Olympics at Seven Springs. Josh Enfinger attended several times. “This is not my first time volunteering for the Special Olympics. But it was not any different from the past years. There were new athletes and some returning athletes,” said Enfinger.

Austin An, a senior, said he signed onto the event because of his love for skiing. He said that, “the opportunity to help special needs skiers do something they loved.”  Austin explained that, “the day was great, we skied with our assigned athletes for about three hours and took them to their various events.” 

The reward of volunteering was the pride in helping those who needed some extra attention. These special skiers came from all over the area, many even coming in to participate from out of state. “We were assigned athletes based on our skill level so we could keep up with them on the slopes. I was assigned to Ryan, an advanced skier, with a group of my friends. He was from Boston and was spending the week at Seven Springs just for the Special Olympics,” said Austin.

Once the students were assigned athletes the races then began. “My athlete’s competition took place at the sunset slope which is right next to The Alley. He did the events Super G and Saloman,” explained Austin.

Once the races were all finished the students and the athletes went back to the lodge and ate lunch either with the assigned groups or broke up to eat with other friends and family. 

After lunch the volunteers were able to ski on their own. However, some chose to watch the Special Olympics award ceremony.

“The award ceremony was a great experience to see all of the athletes have a great time,” said Josh.

Spillar said of his time at the event, “Overall it was not difficult and quite a fun time. I thought the athletes performed amazingly.”

Both the students and the athletes were rewarded through mentorship, a love of skiing, and were touched through the service of volunteering.