Jacob Braun shares insight on team

The 2023-2024 Greater Latrobe Wrestling team kicked off the season with a tournament at Trinity High School, the team began their long and dedicated season. 

Senior captain Jacob Braun explained what they expect from the captains point of view and a leaders perspective. “It will go pretty well, our freshmen looked good, and our team looks well conditioned. Willochell and Leo are making the roles as captains more clear and we’re going through the practices really well,” Said Braun. 

The Wildcat wrestling team came in 2nd at the Trinity Duals out of 18 teams and they are ready for the competition. “I think we all have really good chemistry and we all work together really well.” Jacob explained. 

Seniors Jacob Braun and his brother Lucas Braun alongside juniors Luke Willochell and Leo Joseph are the captains this season. They are all getting used to the new roles they are fulfilling  and hoping for the best for the team. Braun expressed,“To make sure everyone has the results in their mind that they’re going to achieve this year before the year even starts.I have to make sure that everyone is prepared for every event that we go to.”  

Jacob’s seasons have been cut short since his sophomore year due pulling his shoulder out of place and messing up his elbow his junior year, so this year is different and a super important season for him.“Usually, after events it gets kind of sore, a lot of rehabilitation, a lot of heat, icing it, and sometimes just taking a little break with it. It definitely feels way better than it used to and it felt fine at the first event.”  Braun explained. 

Jacob and Lucas have gone head to head their whole lives because they are the same weight class and have battled for a spot all their lives, but this year they are both trying to be leaders and understand the team more and more. Jacob said, “Having him on the team has always been pretty great. There’s obviously a little bit of rivalry that we have from time to time but the best part is just having someone in the room to ask if you want to drill with or someone who’s always on the side cheering you on.” 

As a team,  expects a lot but individually he expects even more from himself, “I’m hoping to do really well. This is my last year so this is my last shot to do anything I really want to do. Right now I’m currently ranked in the top four in the WPIAL and I hope I can stay there throughout the season. I hope to be a state qualifier and then from there just do the best I can in the state tournament. ” 

The Wildcats are ready for a heartfelt and successful season full of determination. Jacob Braun has shown he’s excited to take on the rule as captain and lead his team to victory. Good luck Wildcats! 

Jacob Braun at Mckeesport match