How I Get Into My Christmas Spirit

Christmas Traditions

It’s the Christmas season and time to spread holiday cheer! Most families have family traditions that they do every year. These traditions make every holiday special. My family traditions are a little different this year since we have a new member of our family and my brother could not fly home for Christmas. 

I have been in a serious relationship for 13 months. Zyan, my boyfriend, moved into my house after 4 months of dating due to family issues. This is Zyan and I’s second Christmas, but his first Christmas with my family. He will be pleased with all the gifts he will receive and feel all the love this holiday season. My mom spoiled him!

Every year we get an advent calendar that shows us how many days are left until Christmas. This year, I have two, one with chocolate and one with a magnet that hangs on the fridge. Every day Zyan and I open the advent calendar and split the chocolate from inside. “1.” “2.” “3.” “4.” We then remove a magnet from the fridge. It is shaped like a cookie sheet and all of the magnets that stick to the cookie sheet are shaped like different Christmas cookies. “Santa.” “Snowman.” “Reindeer.” It is so fun counting down the days with Zyan.  

During this holiday season, we make Gingerbread houses. My mom always finds many different types of houses for everyone to choose from. Some look like a barn for reindeer and others are castles. My mom buys all the sweets she can think of so we can make our gingerbread houses our own. We compete to see who’s gingerbread house is the best. My family is very competitive, so we had to make it a competition. Zyan and I were on a team, my brother and his wife were on a team, and my mom and stepdad were on a team. Zyan and I built a basic house with many different types of candy. It sadly fell apart, so we lost. 

Going skating around the Christmas Tree at The UPMC Rink is magical. As you are skating you are surrounded by tall buildings that scour over you and a beautifully decorated Christmas tree with big ornaments and lights that tinkle.  Both of my older brothers played hockey, so they always got competitive with each other. Sadly, due to my older brother not being able to come home, it is just going to be Zyan, my mom, my stepdad, my brother, his wife, and I going ice skating this year. Family time is still so important to my mom, and we always have a good time. 

On Christmas Eve every year, we go to Christmas Mass as a family. We are Catholic so going to church is very important, especially on Christmas Eve. We gather as a family: my cousins, bubbles (grandma), and aunt and uncle. I feel that Christmas Mass is the only time everyone is together at church. 

No matter if it is a new or old tradition, traditions are still important to me, because traditions help my family bond. Traditions help to put my family in the Christmas Spirit.  I am so excited to make new traditions and memories with the people I love.  Merry Christmas!