Touchdowns and Teamwork

Latrobe Memorial Stadium

A whistle blows and the game begins! Powderpuff or girls’ football is a fun way to show some school spirit and compete with friends. For the second year running this matchup is ready to play.  This year a big game awaits on Saturday, November 16. See these girls in action taking flags, and scoring. 

This year our coaches’ lineup includes Ben Straton and Zach Shuey as a team, against Jatawn Williams, and Nick Stump. A big turnout with 28 girls appearing on the field this year pairing an even match-up between both teams.

Stratton’s first-round pick Kayla Williams at quarterback is a threat to the other team. A good arm and good field knowledge set her apart from the others. On the other hand first-round Pick Belle Blossey poses a threat as well, proving herself to be a key player the year before. 

“Yes, I think our team is going to win. Our practice on Thursday is going to get us ready for Saturday,” says Jatawn confidently. 

Meanwhile, Stratton and Sheuy have put together a team with a strong leader and players. With Kayla being a leader at quarterback she states, “We have to make sure we catch the ball when we are open and making sure we play good team defense.”

The stakes are high for this upcoming game. The coaches and players are all working their hardest to prepare. “My expectations are for us to come out and score the ball every time on offense and shut them out on defense,” Says Jatawn.

Many girls are extremely excited to get on the field and compete. Senior player Belle Blossey is enthusiastic to get her chance on the field. “This game is always so fun to play in. Even if we don’t win it is fun just being able to play, and be with my friends,” says Belle. 

All proceeds go to the student council as this event is run by class officers. This flag football game is to be played on Saturday at 6 pm. Bring a crowd and some excitement to watch these girls battle for a win!