Cramer’s Recovery

Cramers+Recovery
Isabella Depetris

“I just try to look at it from a positive standpoint, I mean yes I could be upset and I am upset I don’t get to play but I mean the pain is going to go away and eventually you will come back better and stronger,” said senior Jacob Cramer.  He is recovering from a torn Ulnar Collateral Ligament (UCL).  While pitching for the Flood City baseball team, at a game in Johnstown on August, 1 2023.  Cramer said, “While pitching I heard a pop, a week later we went to the doctors and was told the bad news.”

Before Cramer’s injury he has been playing baseball for 15 years. Cramer said, “My parents signed me up for tee-ball when I was young, I always played around my house and was a very active child.”  After elementary school Cramer found baseball to be his hobby that he enjoyed during his free time and he became good at the sport throughout his years of training.  

Baseball has always been a part of his life, he made his friends through baseball, he has dedicated his time to the sport, and he enjoys playing it.  Which is why Cramer is working on getting back on the field as soon as possible.  He said, “I should have full motion and range of function in my arm as well as be able to pitch again in about six months.  I should be finishing up and ready to go in time for the season.”  In order to gain full range of motion in his arm, he had to undergo surgery to fix the ligament as well as a month of physical therapy, wearing a sling for a month, as well as an arm brace.  Hopefully he will be returning to the outfield and pitchers mound as soon as possible. 

In his senior year Cramer plays as a pitcher as well as a center fielder on the varsity boys baseball team.   While in high school he played as a left fielder as a freshman on both varsity and junior varsity.  As a sophomore and junior he played as a left fielder on the varsity team. “It’s more of a leading role, you take precedents over the outfielders, as well as coaching and helping the younger players.  It is a better position from a leadership standpoint” said Cramer.  As he returns to the field, he will be stepping up into the center outfielder position. 

His parents, friends, and teammates are all helping Cramer as much as they can in aiding his return to the field.  “My parents are a big support. They keep asking me if I need any help or anything at all.  My friends and teammates are all wishing me a speedy recovery and hope I am well.”  Cramer has friends, teammates, family, and many more supporting him. 

While Cramer is recovering he is looking into colleges he wants to attend. “I am very interested in Pitt of Johnstown, and they are very interested in me.  That is where I most likely see myself going, I am looking into getting a business degree.”  As well as play on Pitt of Johnstown’s baseball team.

He plans to pursue real estate like his mother once he graduates from college.  “It’s a good plan because people will always need houses and be buying houses.”  His mom will also help teach him how she works as a realtor. 

Not only has he been thinking about his future in college and playing throughout his college career.  When he took a step off the field he was thinking about how to improve his playing on the field.  “I see myself studying the game more than before and I am picking up on cadences throughout the game.  I am becoming more situationally aware of people’s movements throughout the game.”  As Cramer recovers he plans to learn as much as he can about the game and studying how everything is working around him.