National Tech Honor Society

Students are highlighted and given opportunities for scholarships and community service through National Tech Honor Society. Every year, junior and senior students are selected based on the eligibility criteria of having a 3.0 or higher GPA overall, 3.5 or higher in their specific technical program, and a teacher recommendation.

Each year, two delegates and eight officers are chosen and work as a team to maintain an facilitate the flow of the society while members actively participate.

This is the thirteenth year of enacting the honor society at EWCTC. NTHS has been accumulating more and more students each year with about 100 students involved already, the highest they’ve ever had. Scholarships are also in full swing. The Society is responsible for $10,000 worth of them. In order to obtain more scholarship money, members work towards a scholarship fundraiser which is in April this year.

Not only does NTHS give students a head start on career and post-secondary expenses, it gives more chances to make the community better.

Mrs. Kaecher, guidance counselor of EWCTC and the advisor for NTHS, expressed the opportunity the program gives members. “It gives them the opportunity for team building, taking on leadership roles, and it’s a way for them to give back to the community,” said Kaecher. One of their service projects include a widely successful community spaghetti dinner that rings in roughly $4,000 a year for different causes.  This year’s was in support of a cancer treatment center.

Some other service acts are leadership based, including an ambassadors program for elementary school kids and decorating nursing homes for the holidays. “I think the service projects are extremely important for the kids,” said Kaecher with conviction.

Overall, EWCTC offers National Tech Honor Society to motivated, ambitious, and diligent students that want to further their careers outside of Tech. “There’s a lot of great opportunities when students are involved with this society”, Kaecher noted.