Big Brothers Big Sisters

“Big Brothers Big Sisters helps children realize their potential and build their futures. We nurture children and strengthen communities. And we couldn’t do any of it without you.” Big Brother Big Sister is a national non- profit organization founded in 1904 by Ernest Kent Coulter.

Greater Latrobe Senior High School has been taking part in this for at least 15 years. Senior high school students go to Baggaley Elementary school one day a week from 3:00 pm- 3:30 pm to help tutor children. Approximately 30 senior high school students are dedicated to tutoring around 30 elementary school students.

Senior Josie Rodell has been a Big Sister since fall 2017. She says “I had a Big Sister when I was in third grade. The experience I had with my Big Sister was so influential on myself that I wanted to give the same opportunity to a younger child.” Josie believes this program is beyond beneficial to the younger children. She adds, “I’ve built such a strong relationship with my Little Brother that I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world. He used to be very shy around me and now we’re laughing together like we’ve been friends forever!” Josie not only helps her Little Brother with basic subjects like math, spelling, and science, but also helps him in his social skills and is a friend he can always count on.