“Easy A” Movie Review

Default+Logo

The catchy trailers for Easy A about a typical high school girl whose reputation goes from good to bad, convinced me to see it. Realistic situations occur in high schools all over the country.

Written by Bert V. Royal and directed by Will Gluck, this romantic comedy shows viewers how quickly rumors actually spread in high school and the consequences that tag along.

Olive Penderghast (Emma Stone) was just an average girl living the normal teenage life. Often unnoticed by her peers, Olive was getting tired of going to school every day feeling invisible. Unlike her best friend Rhiannon, played by Alyson Michalka, Olive had a good reputation and a clean image at her high school.

Her life slowly heads in the wrong direction when she tells Rhiannon about her fantasy weekend with a college freshman. She makes up the story to avoid Rhiannon’s future family camping trip.

The notoriously religious girl overheard their conversation. Word about Olive’s promiscuity quickly spreads around the school through texts and secrets. Even though it isn’t true, Olive never denies the rumors since she is appreciating all of the attention. She finally feels like someone.

Olive pretends to sleep with the guys who need a better reputation. They actually pay her to have her say that she slept with them. She soon realizes her life is similar to Hester Prynne’s in “The Scarlet Letter,” where Hester was forced to wear the symbol “A” on her clothing for her punishment of committing adultery. Olive embraces the new image all of the rumors created by embroidering a red “A” on her wardrobe.

Will Olive go back to the image with which she started high school? Easy A had many unexpected parts that threw me off from how I pictured the end of the movie to be.  It was comical, romantic, and yet emotional. Easy A easily gets an “A” in my opinion.