Students have golden knowledge of the “Golden Hour”

High school students have the golden opportunity to share a working knowledge of how to assist during a heart attack. The first hour of a heart attack is called the “Golden Hour.” Getting a patient to the hospital during the “Golden Hour” greatly increases a speedy recovery. Excela Health educates high schools about the “Golden Hour” while adding a little healthy competition. The Heart Fair, sponsored by the Highmark Foundation, took place in the CSC on February 11-15. Students in the Anatomy course had the opportunity to teach the community about the “Golden Hour” through a project that illustrates the students’ understanding of the “Golden Hour.”

67 Anatomy & Physiology students worked on a project, as individuals or partners, for five months. The final projects focused on tips for the “Golden Hour”. “Students learn that it is important to seek treatment for a heart attack within the first hour.  Call 911!  Treatment begins in the ambulance,” said Mrs. LeVan. A variety of projects were submitted like trifolds, videos, models, and games.

This year’s winners are seniors Shiloh Kail and Laura Toman,and Katie Relick, who completed an independent project. Kail and Toman designed a Golden Wheel that resembled the Wheel of Fortune wheel. The Golden Wheel game was played by spinning the spinner and answering a question was given to the player. “Then you could test yourself to see if you knew the answer or not,” said Kail. The Golden Wheel tested the knowledge of heart attack and stroke symptoms during the “Golden Hour.”

Kate Relick designed a Game of Life. The game of life allowed players to pick a question and  to advance, on a colorful 3D game board, if answered correctly. “I love knowing that more people will be educated about heart attacks and strokes,” said Katie Relick senior.

These projects won first place. “It felt good being able to put the information out there to see and for people to learn from,” said Kail. Winners received $100  and will compete at Latrobe Area Hospital in the next level for a $1000 scholarship for higher education.

Not only were the projects viewed by the health classes, but also judged anonymously. The judges all have teaching certifications. “It was very informative and all the projects were really good. I really liked the bingo game,” said Janine Schomer, sophomore. Spectators were also able to see how much they learned from the projects by playing  Excela Health’s bingo game. These projects were displayed for a few weeks in the CSC. It was up to the students how long they display their projects.