Balancing Part-Time Jobs and Academics

According to Mrs. Muchnock, there are around 250-275 students who receive working papers from the guidance office each year. These large statistics show the number of students who challenge themselves to balance both a part-time job and academic responsibilities.
With the proper time management, dedication, and effort balancing both a part-time job and academics is very achievable. Juniors Kennedy King and Alan Derk are both part-time employees and are learning how to navigate their work commitments alongside their academic responsibilities.
Kennedy King is employed at Valley Dairy located in the Wildcat Commons and is currently working 2-3 days a week. She says, “School will always be my number one priority but I enjoy being able to work and earn money for myself.” Earning her own money affords her the freedom to buy the things she desires and enjoy going out with her friends on the weekends.
Kennedy’s approach to managing her time properly begins by creating a schedule and sticking to it. She says, “If I know I have a lot of homework or a test the next day I will make a plan to try to get stuff done ahead of time. GL time gives me over an hour to get my work done so I always try to use at least half of that time productively.”
Learning how to manage time effectively is crucial for life, and a good habit to form as early as possible. Embracing this not only enhances academic performance but also lays the groundwork for a lifetime of success and fulfillment. Time management ultimately gives high school students the essential tools needed to thrive in the increasingly demanding landscapes of college, university, and the workforce.
Kennedy decided Valley Dairy was the right pick for her for various reasons. To start, they accommodate her busy schedule. This flexibility allows her to manage all of her responsibilities while also leaving room for enjoying time with friends and family. She appreciates, “Getting to interact with so many different people and start to build relationships with the regulars,” she said.
Alan Derk is currently working around 3 days a week at the Latrobe Skating Rink. He said, “I like the aspect of meeting new people and seeing everyone have fun doing something I also enjoy.” Socializing with so many people each day has helped him develop strong skills such as problem-solving, kindness, and creating strong relationships. The joy of coming to work and loving the environment is truly the best feeling when your job involves something fun and exciting.
One of Alan’s favorite childhood memories was spending time at the skating rink alongside his friends. This experience is what inspired me to work here to create similar memorable experiences for others. He puts in a lot of hard work to create a fun atmosphere which comes naturally for him considering how much he genuinely loves and enjoys his job.
Alan has a goal of becoming an engineer in the future which motivates him to work incredibly hard and attain the highest grades possible. To achieve these goals the proper organization is needed. Alan says he stays organized by, “planning out my days and figuring out what needs to get done ahead of time.” Approaching tasks like this allows him to stay focused on his goals and effectively manage all of his responsibilities. Learning these skills at a young age will only benefit Alan in his future endeavors. He will gain better decision-making skills, convey professionalism, and allow him to complete tasks more efficiently.
Balancing both a part-time job and academics is not easy by any means but Kennedy and Alan show that it is possible. Success requires the proper amount of hard work and dedication but in the end, it is worth the time. These two students are putting in the effort now and ultimately hope to reach their highest potential.