Sports Broadcasting

Ryan Baughman meets Hannah Mears on Tuesday January 23rd. Hannah helped Ryan learn more about the career possibilities with sports journalism and what his next steps after high school should be.

In this dynamic course, sports broadcasting, students will dive into the thrilling world of sports journalism and broadcasting. Interested students can gain real-world skills through experience. Enrolled students’ comprehensive insights into the skills and techniques, from honing their play-by-play commentary to mastering the art of live reporting.  Whether an aspiring sports commentator, journalist, or simply passionate about the intersection of sports and media, this class offers a unique opportunity to develop sports broadcasting skills and storytelling abilities. 

Mrs. Houck leads broadcasting one and two. This year she has taken on a new class called sports broadcasting. She wants a way to have better coverage of sports and give them the recognition that broadcasts one and two could not. “We wanted a way that we could better showcase those results and prompts through events.” 

Brianna Vesely is a student who has taken Intro to Broadcast 1, and now Broadcast 2 and Sports Broadcast together. She said, “Sports broadcast is more interactive than broadcast and video production 1 and 2.” In sports broadcasts, students are more involved with their peers. For example, students get pre-, and post-game interviews of the players, and they get the experience of a sideline reporter.

Since the class has been added, WCAT-TV has been able to record and update sports scores the morning after they occur. That creates an overwhelming amount of sports coverage that wildcat sports have been missing. The students in sports broadcasts provide scores from the Penguins, Steelers, and Pirates, as well as scores from Latrobe hockey, football, volleyball, wrestling, and basketball teams. Having the scores and highlights by the next morning shows how efficient and hard work is. 

“We really have been able to up our coverage by having students totally devoted to sports,” said Houck. Students in this class have the responsibility to go to sports events and get coverage of the games twice per quarter. The students film the games and get either pre or post-game interviews. The students can also get up close and personal with the players and get close-ups and unique shots of the team. Mrs. Houck wants students to take a class that they enjoy and she believes this is just the class for the sports lovers out there. 

Brianna is a lover of watching and playing sports. She has been a cheerleader all her life and is on the Latrobe squad as well as a competitive travel team. “As an athlete myself it was good to see sports from a different perspective and be creative with it,” said Brianna.

Students in sports broadcasting have been able to create amazing projects that push them out of their comfort zone. Brianna said, “We work on various projects such as player and coach interviews as well as hype and highlight videos, but the most engaging was our sports podcast. Mine was on student athletes’ mental health.” These projects are breaking boundaries and creating a way for the students in this class to show their love for sports while showcasing local athletes.

Briana’s experience in broadcasting has been extremely positive. She said, “I plan to go into side-line reporting and this class has helped me to develop the skills I need to achieve what I want to do in the future.” 

Mrs Houck said, “I’m honestly so impressed with the work that students in broadcasting and sports broadcasting are doing.” She is super happy with the large amount of coverage the class has given Greater Latrobe’s sports. Mrs. Houck, as a teacher, has given the students with no prior knowledge of the broadcast world a way to put their love for sports into a class. 

Brianna said, “I really want to work on sports and the things that sports broadcasting is going behind the scenes is going to get me to where I want to be.”