News In Briefs

Breakfast of Champions Named For March
Another group of students were recognized during the March Breakfast of Champions Thursday, March 15, 2012. This month, the following students were honored: senior Luray Hixson by Mrs. Butler, senior Natalie Mayo by Mrs. Kubus, senior Alexandria Brant by Mrs. Wydareny, sophomore Caleb Moore by Ms. Evans, sophomore Robert Sisak by Mr. Gorinski, junior Raymond Sowinski by Ms. Kniff, sophomore Gino J. Ferraro, Jr. by Ms. Sirgey, senior Ryan Staffen by Robert Saveikis, and junior Brandon Harris by Ms. Harvey.

Latrobe Rotary Selects Student of the Month
Latrobe Rotary Club has named Greater Latrobe juniors Olivia Gumbita and Andrew Hanna as its students of the month for March. Gumbita is a varsity pitcher for the softball team, Big Sister to 10 pitchers for the Pittsburgh Power softball organization and a member of SADD. She has achieved a black belt in Tang Sooo Do karate, distinguished honor roll since freshman year and the U.S. Achievement Academy award for Who’s Who Among Honor Students. She plans to major in science/astronomy and attend college on an academic or softball scholarship. Hanna is involved in track, AMC math tests and Student Council. He helps with the Hunger Garden charity at Saint Vincent, is a lifeguard for Latrobe/Unity Parks and Recreation, and has helped with Winter Special Olympics and Men’s Night Out charity. Hanna was nominated to the Lead America Conference in Washington, D.C.; was eight-grade American Mathematics Competition school winner and is a distinguished honor roll student. He wants to become an engineer, and plans to study mathematics and science in college, eventually owning his own business.

Letterman’s Club Athlete of the Week Announced
Sophomore Kayla Owens has been named this week’s Letterman’s Club Athlete of the Week. Owens had a record day at the WPIAL Championship meet at the University of Pittsburgh, where she set three individual school records and was a part of two record-setting relays.  Additionally, she set new school records in the 200 Individual Medley, 100 Freestyle, and the 100 Breaststroke and helped the 200 Free and 400 Free relays to new marks.  Ultimately, Kayla’s performances qualified her for two individual and two relay events at the PIAA State Championship meet. 

Pirates Ticket Opportunity Offered to Students
To congratulate students on their scholastic achievement, the Pittsburgh Pirates are offering one free outfield box ticket to an upcoming baseball game during April and May. Students must purchase at least one additional ticket to receive the complimentary one. Interested individuals should visit the principal’s office to pick up the form to place the order.

Scholarship Opportunities Available to Students
Students are reminded of a unique scholarship opportunity from the Rotary Club of Latrobe. The club is offering two $1,000 scholarships to students who attend Greater Latrobe or Derry High School with the selection criteria being based on not only academics but student involvement in community or school activities.  Interested students should stop in guidance to pick up an application as the deadline to apply is April 13, 2012. Students are also reminded to check the guidance office’s webpage on the school district website for a list of possible scholarship opportunities.

Schedule Change Deadline Approaching
All underclassmen are reminded that the deadline to request schedule changes for the 2012-2013 school year is March 30, 2012 at 2:30 p.m. No further schedule changes can be made after that point. Students with questions should seek assistance by contacting their guidance counselor or visiting the guidance office.