Latrobe Girls Tennis Team 2023 Season With New Head Coach

Latrobe’s Girl’s High school tennis team was in search of a new head and assistant coach after the previous coach resigned at the end of the 2022 season. 

Luckily, two Latrobe junior high teachers stepped up to the plate and took over the position. Kathryn Massaro and Shanna Townsend. The head coach, Kathryn Massaro, had coaching experience prior to the girls 2023 season, as she assisted the boys tennis team in the spring of this year. She also has a daughter in her first year at the high school, Allison Massaro, who made varsity her first year on the team and held the position of third singles.

As the season is coming to a close, and the varsity girls are off to Playoffs, Coach Massaro was asked a few questions about her first year leading the team. She was expected to meet and teach a variety of new faces. 

“I have loved my first year of coaching because I have had the privilege of coaching a fantastic group of girls. All of the girls were so welcoming. They’re a lot of fun, too!”

Although every sport faces its challenges, coach Massaro states that she struggled with self doubt throughout the season, all while keeping a positive attitude and brave face for the girls. 

Aside from these obstacles, if there was a favorite aspect of her coaching job, she stated she loved to see her players never stop improving. 

“It’s not so much a memory, but my favorite part of coaching is seeing players improve their game, and I have seen every girl improve over the season. I love watching a good rally between players, and even if my players lose the point, I still get excited because I’ve seen some good tennis being played.”

Whether it is win or lose, Coach Massaro will always love a good match. Unfortunately, the varsity players lost in their playoff match to Shady Side, but the girls put up a fight. 

Ultimately, Mrs.Massaro would not like to take all the credit for this opportunity, in her words, she would not be able to do this without her varsity players, Carlin Bukovac, Maria Fetter, Allison Massaro, Bridget Mchugh. Brooke Coll, Julia Fetter, Kira Florek, Summer Popella and Sarah Lezaski. 

On an additional note, varsity player and senior Sarah Lazeski has a few words about her experience with Mrs.Massaro as the new coach. 

“When she stepped up to coach us she put her whole heart into it. In her free time, she took lessons and watched tennis matches and videos to better understand how to improve our game. She went above and beyond the call of duty.” 

Sarah speaks for all the seniors when describing her final season, Mrs. Massaro did a fonumnal job leading the girls in the right direction and showing the seniors how to inherit this leadership for the younger players. 

The girls, and especially seniors, couldn’t have asked for a better head coach. We look forward to seeing what this team and Mrs.Massaro and Mrs. Townsend have in store for the upcoming years.