A Historic Season Uprising

Our goal? Stopping yours.
Lady Wildcat Captains                                                                                      Back row: Ella Bulava, Regan Reilly Front row: Ava Yurko, Ava Lorenzi

The Lady Wildcat Soccer Team is onto another historical season. With a short roster, and one of their key players out for the season with a torn ACL the Cats still are very skilled and look very successful. 

They kicked off their season with a road trip to the Greensburg Salem Lions to take away a 7-1 victory. Senior Regan Reilly had a hat trick, sophomore Annalyse Bauer had two goals, and freshman Alexa Yurko and junior Bri Hoffer each had a goal. Even though it was a high-scoring game, one of their main contributors, junior Robin Reilly was out for the game recovering from her ankle injury.

Luckily, Robin was able to be back for their second game of the season against the Norwin Knights at their castle. The Cats took home their second win of the season winning 5-1 with Robin Reilly scoring four of the five goals. 

The Lady Cats had a hard-fought home opener against the Plum Mustangs. Ro. Reilly and Bauer scored in the 3-2 loss. Even though the game did not go the way the Lady Wildcats wanted, this game changed the girls’ perspectives for the better.

The ladies took that game and came back stronger with a 12-0 shutout on the road against the Penn Hills Indians. Re. Reilly had her second hat trick of the season, Bauer, junior Ava Yurko, and sophomore Gianna Trunzo had two goals, and junior Maddy Petruzzi, freshman Emerson Shine, and sophomore Mackenzie Kubistek all had one goal. Seven players all had such an impact on how the Wildcats contributed as a team. 

With such a great victory the Cats hoped to keep the ball rolling against the Franklin Regional Panthers at their home stadium. 

The Lady Cats ended the night with a 2-1 victory. Ro. Reilly started the scoring in the back of the first half, leading 1-0. Shine continued the scoring in the first half to make the score 2-0. In the second half, the Panthers scored one at the beginning of the second half to cut the score in half. Senior goalie Corinne Brunetto kept the Lady Pathers out for the rest of the game for the win at home.

Brunetto reflected on how a smaller bench like theirs has so much success. “We all have such a strong bond on and off the field that allows us to keep each other accountable,” said Corinne. “Since we have a small bench we have a lot of younger players, such as freshmen, who are getting to start in such high-intensity games.” 

The Lady Wildcats have had to overcome multiple obstacles this season so far. With a star player, senior Ella Buluva, out for the season, the Cats still have to have a strong mindset and play their hearts out. Bulava’s heart is still on the field even though she is on the sidelines cheering on her teammates. Corinne speaks on how they have overcome these challenges and have a positive mindset while doing so. She said, “Our team has set many clear goals, which include having a winning season and having a far run in the postseason. Having a strong positive mindset will let us reach our goals.” 

The Lady Wildcats are ready to make a long run into their season with high-set goals and expectations.