News In Brief

News+In+Brief+

Rotary Students of the Month Named
Monthly, the Latrobe Rotary Club names outstanding students that contribute to the community. In January, Greater Latrobe juniors Josh McIntyre and Valerie Magda were honored. McIntyre has worked for three years at Latrobe Skating Center and is a part of the Kennametal Young Engineers Program. He also does freelance photography and video work at Grabiak Chevrolet. Additionally, Josh is a Special Olympics volunteer. He has been recognized for “Best News Package” at the Robert Morris University Video Festival, and is in the Spanish National Honor Society. A nominee of the Breakfast of Champions, he would like to attend Carnegie Mellon University or Rochester Institute of Technology for software engineering or computer science. Magna is active in Red Cross Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, concert band, Tri-M Music Honor Society and is a dancer at Laurel Valley Academy of Dance. Consistently attaining distinguished honor roll, she is a member of Spanish National Honor Society and in ninth grade, was nominated for a leadership conference.

Komisak Honored Through Lions Club
Greater Latrobe Senior Rachel Komisak was recently honored as the January Student of the Month by the Latrobe Lions Club. Dom Camarote, club president, congratulated and presented Komisak a plaque at a recent club meeting. She is a member of National Honor society and is a three-year varsity track and field letterman. In the future, Komisak plans to attend college and major in nursing. 

Students Compete In Academic Quiz League
On Thursday, January 26, 2012, nine Greater Latrobe students participated in the Mount Pleasant Academic Quiz Tournament. The following students competed in the tournament: JT Douglas, Sarah Fox, Jarrett Patterson, Brendan Moss, Charlie Musick, Miko Reyes, Alex Rutigliano, Melissa Sinemus, and Emma Kate Womack.

Commencement Announcements Deadline
Senior students are reminded of an upcoming deadline involving Commencement Announcements. Thursday, February 23, 2012 will be the last day to order Commencement Announcements from the Herff Jones Company. A representative will be taking orders during all lunches on that day. Orders will be delivered approximately 4-6 weeks prior to graduation. Class rings will also be available at that time if interested.

Sheetz Coupons Being Sold
Currently, the Boys Soccer Team is selling Sheetz coupon books. The cost of the books are $10 and full of many offers, including: Free MTO item, Buy One Get One Free MTgo!, Sandwich or Parfait, Free MTO Breakfast Sandwich, Free Bag of Fryz, Free Hot Dog (2), Free Specialty Coffee, Buy One Get One Free Nutz, Free Self-Serve Brewed Coffee or Fizz City® Fountain Drink (2), Free Sheetz Donut, Buy One Get One Free Nova Blue® Bottled Water. Anyone interested in purchasing a coupon book should see Mrs. Leeper during 11th period or see a boys soccer team member.

Letterman’s Club Athlete of the Week Named
This week’s Letterman’s Club Athlete of the Week is junior Ben Harvilla. Harvilla has been the high scorer in two of the last three games for the wildcat basketball team and his floor game has steadily improved as the season progresses. In addition, Harvilla’s leadership throughout the team has become very evident throughout the past two weeks. Congratulations to Ben!

Cheerleading Tryouts To Take Place
Numerous events will take place in the next month regarding tryouts for the 2012-2013 cheerleading squad. A parent informational meeting will be held on Thursday, February 23, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. at the Junior High Library. Tryout clinics will take place on Monday, February 27, 2012 and Wednesday, February 29, 2012, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the senior high auxiliary gymnasium. Tryouts will follow on Thursday, March 1, 2012 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the senior high auxiliary gymnasium.

Forensics Student Wins First Place
Senior Jimmy Zimmerman recently came in first place the Lincoln-Douglas debate, qualifying for the PA High School Speech League’s state tournament. Zimmerman was undefeated throughout his rounds, and will represent Greater Latrobe at the state tournament.