News In Briefs

News In Briefs

County Chorus Participates in Event
Thirteen students will attend the Westmoreland County Music Educators Association County Chorus Festival at Belle Vernon on Thursday, November 17 and Friday, November 18. The students include Alexis Nale, Therese Holzapfel, Rheannie Newell, Kayla Bleckley, Ashley Herman, Carly Lubic, Stephanie Smith, Dylan Pal, Adam Sarp, Alex Jabbour, Matt Johnson, and Christopher Paluzzi.

Student Store Offers New Items
New merchandise has just arrived at the student store, just in time for the holiday shopping season. Interested shoppers should visit the senior high web site to view new clothing items and to download the order form. All items are great gift ideas for family and friends!

Athlete of the Week Announced
Junior Hanna Green is this week’s athlete of the week. Green led the Lady Cats Cross Country squad in numerous ways throughout the season, being the number one runner for the team in every race. Hanna earned medals for her 13th place finish at the Country Cross Country Championships and for her 15th place finish at the WPIAL Championship. Green’s finish in the WPIAL meet qualified her to compete in the PIAA State Championship in Hershey.

Operation Christmas Child
P.A.W. is participating in Operation Christmas Child, an organization that sends shoe boxes filled with necessities to give children in the most undeveloped and remote places of the world a good Christmas and let them know someone cares, this holiday season. Interested individuals should consider donating basic necessities, as well as toys, shoeboxes, stuffed animals, wrapping paper, card candy or even a personal note and money for supplies. A box will be placed outside of Mr. Duda’s room for donations.

Breakfast with Santa
The senior high school class officers are sponsoring a Breakfast with Santa on Saturday, December 3, 2011, from 8:30 to 11:00 a.m. in the GLSHS Commons area. All children, not just GLSD students are invited to enjoy this special event and share in a morning of food, fun, crafts, games, entertainment, and visit from Santa! There is no cost, but attendees are encouraged to bring a new, unwrapped toy for a holiday toy drive. Reservations are required by November 21, 2011 to [email protected]. Please include your name, the number of children and adults attending and the children’s ages.

Toys for Tots Drive
As the holiday season approaches, the baseball team is once again working with the Marines through the annual Toys For Tots drive. Those who are interested in participating should donate a new, unopened toy. Collections boxes will be in H104 and the office from now through December 11, 2011. The team and Marines greatly appreciate donations!