St.Patrick’s Day

St.Patricks+Day

March is known for many things; the end of winter, the beginning of spring, even Ash Wednesday sometimes falls in March. To the Irish though, it is known for a single day of green celebration. Existing for over a thousand years, St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated on March 17. It is St. Patrick’s religious feast day and the anniversary of his death. St. Patrick existed as a hero in Ireland. He spent his life roaming the green pastures of Ireland and converted all he could to Catholicism. He even used a shamrock to help explain the trinity. Now people far and wide celebrate this leprechaun-filled holiday.

Traditionally, Irish families would go to church in the morning and celebrate in the afternoon, according to History.com. They would dance, feast and sing, even though Lent would have been going on. With special permission from the church, the people were allowed to indulge in the delicacy of Irish bacon and cabbage. St. Patrick gave them a reason to celebrate, although their lives may have been bleak.

In America today, St. Patrick’s Day is a day full of festivity. There are parades and festivals decked out in green. Shamrocks, green beads, and leprechauns with giant pots of gold decorate schools, stores, and banks. In America, everyone is Irish for a day.