Mr. Rogers Remembered

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Every Saturday morning children remember : “It’s a beautiful day in this neighborhood..”, from the popular show “Mister Roger’s Neighborhood.”  Kids could bring the show to life at Idlewild with a ride through Mister Roger’s Neighborhood. Chatting with King Friday and meeting Elsie Jean Platypus, Owl, Henrietta and other beloved characters along the way. I remember watching him, in his beloved sweater, as a kid and singing, dancing along with the puppets. It was one of my favorite T.V shows. He taught so many lessons to kids around the world.

Fred Rogers, a 1946 Latrobe graduate, walked the same halls as current students. I can only imagine him hurrying to get to his next class. All too soon, Rogers jumped from a highschool student to being a respected elder in Latrobe. February 27, marks Fred Roger’s tenth year anniversary of his death. The wonderful T.V educator made sure everyone felt loved and cared for. These lessons never went out of style, at any age.

Lessons

1. “You make each day a special day. You know how, by just your being you. There’s only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.” -Fred Rodgers

2. “It’s good to look carefully. Listen carefully.”-Fred Rogers

3.“We all have different gifts, so we all have different ways of saying to the world who we are.” -Fred Rogers

4.”You know, you can do something about that.”-Fred Rogers

5.”You can stomp around and make up a dance, or pound some clay and make things out of clay, and sing a song or write a poem. That’s what it means to grow.”-Fred Rogers

6.”You know, that’s how you can tell when you’re grown up inside: you’re sure that what you’re planning and doing are things that can be a real help to you and your neighbor”-Fred Rogers

7.”Every person that you see in this world needs to be loved.”  -Fred Rogers

8.”Even if it’s something disappointing, it’s still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment.” -Fred Rogers

9.”Doesn’t it feel good when you’re just about to do something you know is wrong and you decide to do something else? “-Fred Rogers

10.”You know, the toughest thing is to love somebody who has done something mean to you.” -Fred Rogers