Paczki Day

Paczki+Day

On Fat Tuesday, March 8, 2011, Mrs. Leeper’s World Cultures classes enjoyed a taste of Eastern European treats by celebrating Paczki Day. “Being of Polish descent, Paczkis are something we always looked forward to around the Easter Season.  As we studied Eastern Europe in World Cultures, I wanted to bring an element of my culture into the classroom,” says Mrs. Leeper.

A Paczki is a Polish deep fried dough, typically stuffed with fruit or a sweet filling. Traditionally, Paczkis were made to use up all the lard, sugar, eggs, and fruit in a household, because it was not allowed to be consumed during Catholic Lent. They are typically eaten on Fat Thursday and Fat Tuesday, the Thursday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. 

Ninety-three Paczkis were ordered from Dainty Pastry in Latrobe. Students chose between apple, apricot, white cream, chocolate, custard, lemon, and red berry flavors for their tasty treat. “I got a red berry flavored Paczki. It was very delicious and I had more,” said junior David Moffa.

For many students the best way to learn about a culture is to experience it firsthand. From this cultural experience students not only learned about a distant culture, but also got a taste of it.