3D Technology

When I was a kid, I was very excited when “Spy Kids 3D” first came out. This was the old fashioned 3D, complete with red and blue glasses and really terrible graphics. In my youth, the 3D gimmick itself was enough to draw kids to poorly made movies  but with today’s technology 3D has entered a new era.  Ushered in by movies, most notably “Avatar”, RealD 3D was exposed to a mass audience all over the world, leading into 3D television.

In RealD 3D, the two tone glasses are replaced by ones that closely resemble sunglasses. The graphics of the 3D movies have been greatly improved, and unlike earlier movies where glasses are only worn at certain points during the film, RealD glasses are used for the duration of the film. According to www.film-techcinemasystems.com , the presentation of RealD films is mostly smooth, although some people have reported dizziness or nausea as a result of rapid changes in picture depth. For the most part though, reception of 3D movies has been positive, with landmark 3D film “Avatar” becoming the highest grossing film ever. Success of 3D in film has created a market for 3D television.

Television has ventured into the 3D market, with TV companies Sony and Toshiba leading the way. 3D television uses the same RealD format as the movies, creating continuity in the system. 3D movies such as “Avatar,”Monsters vs. Aliens,” and “How to Tame Your Dragon” have been released on 3D DVD for home use. Also TV stations such as ESPN 3D have tested the waters in the market of 3D TV.

Senior Dan Trainer has experienced 3D media, and he is not quite ready for it yet. “I think that it’s kind of stupid and unnecessary to wear glasses to watch TV. It’s just inconvenient.”

Whether or not 3D technologies will stick around is tough to tell. The technology’s vitality depends on a system which is affordable, practical, and entertaining. At this point it is certainly more expensive than regular television and the fact that the viewer must wear special glasses is certainly a negative. As 3D develops, it can certainly become more practical as well as affordable, and if people take interest, it should be around for years to come.