GLSHS Year in Review 2010

Default+Logo

1.      “Snowmageddon 2010”
After a foot of snow blanketed the southwestern Pennsylvania area in January and February, everyone was tired of shoveling their driveway daily as winter ended. For students, the snow resulted in eleven snow days, canceled sporting events, and the ultimate change of the graduation date.

2.      “SEN10RS” Prepare for Graduation
As their days as a high school student became numbered, seniors presented their graduation projects, searched for scholarships, measured for their cap and gowns, and found time to simply enjoy senior week.

3.      Latrobe Students Give Back
After the tragic January earthquake in Haiti, Interact Club members from both Latrobe and Derry teamed up to contribute to relief efforts. During “Hoops for Haiti,” Latrobe varsity cheerleaders took on Derry cheerleaders in a game of basketball, while each basketball team served as the “cheerleaders.” $3,700 in profit went directly to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.

4.      A Magical Musical
Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” came to life on the GLSHS stage. “The tale as old as time” was told by Mr. Krack, Mr. Murray, student director Megan Monack, and fifty-three students when this play was presented to impressed audiences.

5.      2010 Penguin Cup Champions
The Greater Latrobe IceCat’s took the PHIL State Cup at Mellon Arena in their third state title. Later, the team was honored for their achievements at the Capitol building in Harrisburg by Congressman Tim Murphy.

6.      New Administrative Faces
Familiar faces throughout the school district filled new positions – most importantly, a new principal, Mr. LoCascio, and new assistant principal, Mr. Smith.

7.      “Midnight Masquerade 2010”
Prom 2010, with the theme “Midnight Masquerade,” occurred on Friday, May 7, 2010, at Four Points Sheraton in Greensburg. Cody Pudlish and Ashley Mayger were crowned Prom King and Queen.

8.      Students Travel Abroad
With school out for the summer, some students filled up lazy days while traveling abroad. Specifically, German students traveled to cities in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and the Czech Republic.

9.      A New School Year and “No Empty Seats”
As all students started a new year of school; seniors were challenged with a goal, “No Empty Seats.” In addition to a new school, for sophomores, a new grade, new classes, new friends, and new experiences occurred during the first week back.

10.  Homecoming Traditions Continue
With the theme, “Opposites Attract,” Homecoming 2010 occurred on Saturday, October 23, 2010, in the GLSHS Commons Area. In addition, other traditions took place like the Battle of the Halls, Pep Rally, and the homecoming football game. A new tradition, Battle of the Bands, occurred as a dream come true for junior Natalie Nakles.