Yearbook Student Stands Out

Jess Havrilla works hard to make the yearbook great

Being a highschool student, two exciting days stand out. One is the first day of school where students get to see all of their friends again, and another being the last day of school where students can’t wait to have long summer days and nights with no curfews.

Typically the last couple days of school is turning in books, finishing up late work, or like past years, signing each other’s yearbooks in the gymnasium.

When we get a yearbook we automatically look at our own picture to see how good, or how scary we actually look. Then, we just hand it over to our friends and teachers to see how many signatures we can get.

At the senior high, students get to chose to take the yearbook class as an elective to help participate in creating the school’s yearbook.

The yearbook planning starts on April first of each year, and doesn’t end until distribution  the following school year. Creating a yearbook isn’t as easy as it seems. Throughout the year, six crucial deadlines create a sense of stress. Each deadline requires 42-56 pages to be submitted.

One of the fifteen dedicated students  on staff is senior Jessica Havrilla. During Jessica’s sophomore year, advisor Mrs. Butler asked her to become a part of the yearbook staff, and after some convincing, Jessica agreed to join in her junior year. “It sounded like fun, so I thought why not join,” said Havrilla.

Being a part of the staff takes a lot of time and dedication and can be challenging at times. “I come in early in the mornings every morning and I also spend a lot of time working on it at home. I would say the most challenging is getting a variety of different people and meeting the deadlines at the same time,” said Haverilla.

Incompleting a yearbook that represents all of the students and activities “sticky situations” always exsist. Jessica says that a sticky situation she runs into the most is trying to get a group of people for a group photo, and people just don’t show up.

Completing a variety of tasks in short amount of time between each deadline can be frustrating but also rewarding. “It’s such an accomplishment when we get the final product and distribute. It’s awesome to hear all of the compliments,” said Havrilla.

Not only does Jessica work her hardest to complete her tasks, but helps lead in every way she can. “I lead by showing others that I can get my stuff done on time and letting others know that I am here to help and always willing to give advice,” said Havrilla.