Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Review

Causing a record shattering opening weekend for the franchise, the newest installment of the Harry Potter series, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1,” opened in the United States with a domestic total of 125.1 million dollars.  This record amount makes it the highest grossing film of the series in the opening weekend, passing up the previous leading Harry Potter film, “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” which opened with 102.7 million. 

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1” now holds the number six spot on the list of films that made the most money in an opening weekend.  Trailing just behind other films on the list including, “Iron Man 2” in 5th place, “Pirates of the Caribbean; Dead Man’s Chest” in 4th place, “Twilight: New Moon” at 3rd place, “Spider Man 3” in 2nd, and finally “The Dark Knight” in 1st place, this first half of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” was enjoyed by fans everywhere causing a world-wide total sales of $330.1 million in the first weekend. 

I thought it was the best (movie) of the series and it definitely builds the excitement for the final movie,” said senior Justin Klimchak.  An enormous reaction to the movie came from everyone who saw it, including people who have read the books and people who only watch the movies. 

Pleasing both types of audiences, a near impossible task to accomplish because of what goes into a 759 page novel, the movie received very high praises.  Avid reader Hannah Shriver commented, “The whole thing is really good.  I am considering reading the books,” since she has yet to read the Harry Potter series.   

One of the stand-out praises from fans was how closely it followed the original book in a near-perfect way.  “It is hard to include everything from a book into a movie but they did, and they did a very good job making sure they included every detail,” said Justin Klimchak who has read the entire Potter series.  “I really think that they put their hearts and souls into this movie and they should be very happy with the final product,” said Justin.

While there were a few scenes and details left out of the movie, fans remain hopeful that the second installment will fulfill their need for those important factors in the story.  Justin commented that, “I wish they would have included more back story with Dumbledore and his brother, but I am sure they will include that in Part 2.” 

“The way they leave you hanging makes people want to see the next one more,” said junior Rebecca Keefe.  By ending the movie with an intense, dramatic, and ominous cliff-hanger, fans leave the theater anticipating and wondering about the next and final movie.