News In Brief

A career lunch was on February 12, 2015 in the Center of Student Creativity for those interested in the business fields. All students in grade 10-12 are invited.

Get ready to have a fun night with friends. This year’s Polar Palooza will be held on February 20, 2015 from 4:00-10:30PM, at the senior high. Tickets for the event were pre-sold.

Attention to all Juniors and Seniors interested to be a 6th grade camp counselor, applications are available in the main office. The deadline to apply is February 27. Hurry up, spaces will be filled quickly.

Congratulations to Hannah Prichard and Ryan Soisson for being February’s Rotary Students.

The following scholarship opportunities are available, stop in the guidance office for an application for all of these scholarships:

• The Westmoreland Area Nurses Association is offering a one thousand dollar scholarship to a student who is pursuing a nursing education that will lead to a Registered Nurse Degree. The deadline to apply is April 15, 2015.
  • The Pennsylvania Governor’s School for the Sciences at Carnegie Mellon University is now accepting applications from talented high school juniors for the summer 2015 program.  If you are interested in this or any of the Governor’s Schools please stop by guidance for more information.
  • The Fire Chiefs Association of Westmoreland County will award two, two hundred and fifty dollar scholarships to a Westmoreland County Firefighter or a relative of a Westmoreland County Fire fighter.

• The Constance T. Rockwell Scholarship Program is an award of four thousand dollars that will be given to a student based on talent, financial need  and scholastic merit. Candidates  must be  attending an accredited college or conservatory that offers a four year program with an audition.

“Any money that can be awarded before attending school makes the pay back of school costs less later. Not a lot of students apply for outside scholarships; so I always advise to apply to as many that you are eligible for,” said guidance counselor, Ms. Hager.