The Balance of School and Sports

The Balance of School and Sports

Abigail Sobota, Staff Writer

Anita Burke wakes up at six in the morning and goes to school. Most kids days are over then, but not hers. Right after school she has school soccer practice for an hour and a half, then straight from the school she will go to her club soccer practice. She doesn’t get home until eight and she still has school work to complete. That’s the life of an athlete who balances school and sports.

To be considered a “superb” athlete these days you can not just be competing for your school team. That means, yes, your parents have to pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for you to be a part of an elite competitive team. These are the teams that college coaches look at. All in all, if you want to be the best of the best you have to dedicate all your free time to the particular sport that you are a part of.

Sophomore Anita Burke said, “ I would have practice right after school and then would have to go straight from school soccer to Foothills soccer, my cup team.”

Being on a school team can be competitive depending on how well your team is. Supposing that you are one of the better teams in your section; your coach will want to dedicate more time to practice, rather than a team that is last in the section would. With this being said, realistically, at most the team would be practicing for a solid two hours. On top of those two hours of practice for your school team, your “club” teams practices can range from anywhere between one to three hours.

Kids then have to go home and do their schoolwork that can take just as long as their sports practices did. Although there is less of a time frame to complete schoolwork, athletes learn to manage their time better while in seasons.

Juliana Mills said, “ I enjoy being able to play my favorite sport for a long period of time with my favorite people. It makes practice seem much shorter than it actually is.”  A typical schedule you will have two to three games a week for your school team and then on weekends you have to travel to compete in tournaments all over the US for your club team.

When parents were young a sport would only be in season at a particular time of the year. These days, there is no real off season for any athlete. Kids are competing at a competitive level all year round, indoor and outdoors.

Taylor Myers said, “I don’t mind sports being year round now, it keeps me busy and in shape.” Athletes participating on both a club and school team are typically the ones who dream of attending college on a scholarship to play for that particular school. In my opinion, nothing is really “too intense” because pushing yourself will make you better. Setting goals and achieving them will make you believe that greater things are to come.

When coaches are being intense they see major potential in you and want to push you to your limits because they want to see you achieve your goals as badly as you want your dreams become reality. The dream of, of course playing a sport for a division one school.

Most kids play on more than just one sports team so they can get more noticed by a college.