Fall Election Results

Fall Election Results

Although some United States citizens seem to put less attention on mid-term elections verses presidential elections, the results from this year’s mid-term elections will affect everyone in some way or another.   These elections, held on Tuesday, November 2, 2010, shifted the balance of power in the House of Representatives, the Senate, and also in numerous gubernatorial races across the United States.

After weeks of campaigning, debates, speeches and political ads, it all came down to the citizens of the United States, voting for whom they thought would better our country. Even though many of the students who attend Greater Latrobe are not old enough to vote, each student should realize that the elections results today will affect their future: impacting their finances, jobs, how they receive health care and so much more.

In Pennsylvania, the Senate race was between Republican Pat Toomey and Democrat Joe Sestak. As the votes came in the evening of November 2, the two parties were 50/50. At the last minute, Pat Toomey pulled through with the win for Pennsylvania’s Senate seat. According to the Pennsylvania Department of State election returns, the results were close as Toomey won by a close margin of 2,000,529 votes or 51.0%. Sestak was just shy of a win with 1,923,097 votes or 49.0%. This caused Pennsylvania to become a Republican pick-up. However, the U.S. Senate is still held by the Democrats, with 53 Democrats and 47 Republicans.

In the Pennsylvania gubernatorial (governor) race, Democrat Dan Onorato with running mate Scott Conklin ran against Republican Tom Corbett and running mate Jim Cawley. Similar to the Senate race, the Republican Party prevailed, but with a wider margin for the winner. With 2,143,744 votes or 54.5%, Corbett became Pennsylvania’s new governor. Onorato came up short with 1,790,137 or 45.5% of the votes.

Pennsylvania also had many newcomers join the House of Representatives, most of whom were Republicans. This trend is also seen across the country as the U.S. House of Representatives is now controlled by Republicans. 240 Republicans and 189 Democrats now make up the House as opposed to 255 Democrats and 178 Republican before these elections. 

Now, the House is controlled by the Republicans and the Senate by the Democrats. With President Obama being Democratic, many wonder if these circumstances will kill much of Obama’s agenda for the rest of his presidency. As Congress enters its lame duck session, many realize how much the elections affect their daily lives, especially as the results from this election will shift the political scene in Washington.