Learning expands beyond classroom walls

Learning expands beyond classroom walls

Learning extends beyond the classroom through field trips. These trips help students to apply what they’ve learned in the classroom to the real world.

For the french student a trip to Canada for four days from Wednesday, March 27 – Saturday, March 30 over spring break. Anyone in French is able to travel by motorcoach to Canada over spring break for a cultural experience. Students will stay in Montreal for two nights and in Quebec City for one night. Some places students will visit Notre Dame Basilica and the underground Montreal and will eat at the Sucrerie de la Montagne, a maple themed restaurant. “I can’t wait to visit the maple restaurant and see how maple syrup is made,”  said Janine Schomer sophomore. See Madame Zaleweski for more details if interested for 45 students can go.

44 NHS members are going on a trip to Chicago in April. They will be exploring Chicago from April 4-6. “I am really excited about exploring Chicago because it seems like a really cool city,” said Shiloh Kail senior. The students will tour the Chicago Stock Exchange and Shedd Aquarium. Students will see a theatrical concert by the Blue Man Group, a professional basketball game, and go on an architectural boat cruise on the Chicago River.

For the art student a trip to Europe is planned for the 2014 summer.  Anyone who took or is taking art exploration this year or who took it last year is able go to Europe to learn about various artists and art pieces. A nine day trip to London, Rome, and Paris.  “I am excited to see the Louvre. I also wanna see how many people can fit into those small telephone booths haha,” said Daphne O’hara sophomore. The students will go see several famous monuments: cathedrals, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, several museums, and basilicas.

“I’m interested to see what kind of styles they wear. Also I’m looking forward to try all the different foods! I think the Sistine chapel will be amazing to see,”  said Arianna Palmer sophomore.

For the English student this same trip is available with only a few variations and they learn about various literature and the historic significance of London, Paris, and Rome. The only requirement is that you must take an English senior year.