American Civil War 2.0

Andrew+Armstrong

How the Civil War really began. (Credit: Tumblr.com)

Back in August, a Texan county judge had predicted a second civil war if President Obama was re-elected. At the time it seemed pretty absurd, however; with petitions from states to “peacefully withdraw” from the Union and create their own “NEW government,” it seems plausible.

The petitions are submitted through the “WE the People” change.org website, an affiliate to the official website of the White House.

Petitions to initially secede are from these states;  Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas, however; all 50 states have submitted a petition as of Wednesday, November 15, 2012.

Each petition needs 25, 000 signatures in order for the Obama Administration to issue a response. As of  November 15, 2012, Texas leads the petitions with over 100, 000 signatures.

Most of the petitions include this famed and often times manipulated  Declaration of Independence statement:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and institute new Government.

The 2012 Presidential election might have been the cause of the spike in signatures or this could be an elaborate propaganda stunt for Spielberg’s Lincoln (now in theaters), but whatever the cause, those states who reached the signature threshold will be issued an official response soon.