Two Students Nominated for Scholar Athlete Award

The 56th Annual Judge John J. Driscoll Westmoreland County Scholar Athlete Awards banquet highlights student athletes from area schools that balance academics and athletics and achieve successes both on the field and in the classroom.  Two of Greater Latrobe’s own have earned this prestigious award for both their athletic and academic dedication. 

Senior Caela Long, who has been the starting goal keeper for the Lady Wildcat soccer team for four years, is second in the class and holds a QPA of 4.28.  “I managed to balance grades through hard work and late nights,” said Long.  As far as balancing school and sports, “I had to realize when I needed to spend time on one instead of the other,” said Long.  She was also named all-section three times and holds over 300 volunteer hours in the community.  “I try my best to be a leader in both the classroom and on the field,” said Long.  Her leadership roles were evident as the goalkeeper for the Lady Wildcats as well as a two year captain on the team.   Long is continuing her soccer career while attending Swarthmore University in the fall. 

Three sport athlete, Daniel Ferguson, holds the 15th spot in the class out of 359 students.  With a 4.11 QPA, Ferguson balanced football, hockey, and track and was selected as an all-section linebacker in the Quad East.  “I have always tried to be a leader in both the classroom and on the field,” said Ferguson.  “I have been fortunate to have had great role-models in my life and I try to pass on to my teammates and peers what they have taught me.”  Along with being one of the captains on the football team, Ferguson is involved in many extracurricular activities such as National Honor Society and Student Council.  “I feel that [this award] is a tribute to my family, coaches, teachers, Mr. Mears and our athletic department, and all those who have made this opportunity possible for me,” said Ferguson.  He will continue playing football at Carnegie Mellon University in the fall.