Student Council Sponsors Annual Senior Appreciation Luncheon

“It makes you feel good because it makes their day,” said senior student council member Lexie Pelchen, regarding the luncheon held in the senior high cafeteria every year for local senior citizens.  For about 16 years, Greater Latrobe has made the luncheon available for members of the community to come together with friends and meet new people, as well as provide an opportunity for the students of Greater Latrobe to give back to the community. 

“The senior citizens look forward to this every year,” said Mrs. Houck, student council co-advisor.  “They call months beforehand and check when the luncheon is scheduled to make sure they know exactly when to show up.”

The student council members created a luncheon atmosphere complete with fresh table cloths and flower arrangements as center pieces.  Members of Student council greeted 170 guests from the Greater Latrobe Community.  The students acted as waiters, making the luncheon an inviting place for the citizens to spend their afternoon. 

“I’m glad I was able to be there to help bring smiles to all of the senior citizen’s faces,” said sophomore Emma Kate Womack.  “They were all so grateful and seemed to have a really good time.”  Womack played the piano for over an hour during the luncheon. 

Throughout the year, the student council raised funds in order to cover the costs of the luncheon.  “Student council in all grades are represented and get to participate [in the luncheon,]” said Pelchen, which makes this event special for the entire club.

“It felt nice to be helping others,” said senior student council member David Moffa.  “It’s humbling to me because I know that these people greatly appreciate what we are doing.” 

Many of the senior citizens who attend the luncheon have been coming for many years.  “I like getting together with all of our friends,” said community member Cathy Ennis.  “Eight of us friends meet each year and the food is always excellent.” 

The attendees enjoy seeing their friends and find the luncheon as a great opportunity for a social get together for all generations.  “It’s always wonderful,” said Ennis, “it’s something to look forward to and the students all do such a great job.”

[slickr-flickr tag= “glseniorcitizens”]