News In Briefs

News+In+Briefs+

Scholarship Opportunities Available to Students
Seniors attending Saint Vincent, Seton Hill or WCCC in the fall are reminded of an available scholarship. The Latrobe Lions Club will be awarding a $1,000 scholarship to a qualified high school senior from Greater Latrobe.  Interested students should pick up an application in the guidance office. The deadline to apply is Tuesday, April 24, 2012. All students are reminded to check the guidance office’s webpage on the school district website for a list of possible scholarship opportunities.

Weight Room Changes
Students are reminded of a changed schedule in the senior high weight room. Until further notice, the senior high weight room will be closed to students on Fridays after school.

Library Celebrates National Library Week
The library celebrated National Library Week from Monday, April 9 thru Friday, April 13, 2012. In honor of the event, the library held a contest giving away all three hardbound books in The Hunger Games trilogy.  Students who checked out a book had the chance to enter a drawing to win. Lucky student junior Julie Marcinik was drawn as the winner and received the trilogy. Miss Riebel commented, “It was a great week, with lots of students borrowing books, even some who don’t usually do so, and are excited about trying to win.”

PSSA Science Exams to Take Place
Juniors will take the PSSA science exam on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 during periods 1 and 2, and Wednesday, April 25, 2012 during periods 1 through 3. Students taking the exams are reminded of the following tips: Get plenty of rest, eat a good breakfast, have a positive attitude, do your best, listen carefully and follow directions, think before you answer, read carefully, don’t rush, don’t compete with your neighbors to be done, check your work when you’re finished, and don’t expect to know every answer.

Prom Chaperones and Volunteers Needed
Chaperones and volunteers are currently needed for this year’s prom, to be held Friday, May 11, 2012. Any parent interested in assisting with this year’s prom should contact the Class Advisor, Miss Rachel Sirgey through e-mail at [email protected].