Blood Drive: Saving Lives at GLSH

Students and the community continued the 14 year tradition, giving back in a unique way through the annual Red Cross blood drive. On Tuesday, March 27, 2012, students, community members, and Red Cross personal filled the senior high gym with the opportunity to change another’s life. “It is great to partner with the community and help others at the same, said Mrs. Rost, senior high nurse. “There are people who really need blood and it is good for the community to see a bunch of terrific students who want to make a difference.”

Thirty students from the Red Cross Club supported the event in many ways by organizing the registration process and preparing food and drinks for the students and community donors.  “The Red Cross blood drive developed from a student’s idea eight years ago,” said Mrs. Kubus, Red Cross Club advisor. “I thought it would be good for the community and our school.”

According to the American Red Cross, one pint of blood is all that is needed to save up to three lives and gives the benefit of saving a person’s life. Choosing to donate helps a variety of those who are struggling to live and many students made the positive decision.

Mr. Walker, a Special Education instructor at the senior high, has a personal connection that truly put things into perspective; his father-in-law was in surgery at the time of the blood drive.  “I was thinking about him being in surgery and that people probably gave blood to help him get through this three hour surgery,” said Walker. “Although at first I thought I didn’t have time to go down there and made excuses, I realized it saves lives; it’s a personal thing.” The donation of blood can make a difference whether it goes to thousands of disaster victims or just one sick child who is in desperate need.

With a similar generous attitude, senior Emma Terek took the time to donate blood. “I don’t mind giving blood because I’m not scared of the needles and I know I’ll be fine doing so,” said Terek.

Requirements exist for the safety of both the giver and receiver. Recent travel, infections, health problems, and medicines have to be provided in order for the process to begin. To be qualified to donate blood, all participants have to be at least 17 years of agewith a weight of 110 pounds, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Though it may seem difficult or uneasy for some; to be comfortable and get through the process, it is important to drink plenty of water before and after to keep hydrated and to eat a healthy meal by avoiding fatty foods that may cause infection in the blood prior to donation.  “I tell students if you know you are going to give blood, be sure to eat a health meal and drink plenty of fluids to replace those you are losing,” said Rost. “This allows the donation to run smoothly without any problems.”

Giving blood can help millions of people throughout the United States. According to the American Red Cross, approximately 1,000 units equaling out a pint of blood must be collected each weekday to meet the needs of patients at hospitals within both the Greater Alleghenies Region and elsewhere through Red Cross Blood Services. Yearly, the blood drive gives students and the community the opportunity to save another life, while impacting their own.