News In Brief

College Planning Evening Held
Junior students and their parents attended a college planning evening on Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at 6:30 p.m. in the Center for Student Creativity. A panel consisting of college admission counselors, and a parent and a military representative were on included in the evening’s presentation. A question and answer session followed. Students with further questions should see Mr. Burkley in the Guidance Office.

Latrobe Lions Club Student of Month Announced
Latrobe Lions recently announced their February student of the month, senior Ally Bair. Bair, who received congratulations and a certificate from club member Carol Kralik, is the mascot for the school and a member on the High Post and WCAT-TV staffs. Additionally, she is a member of National Art Honor Society. Bair’s future plans involve studying French.

Latrobe Rotary Selects Student of the Month
Latrobe Rotary Club has named Greater Latrobe students junior Hayley Simpson and Gian Prosperi as its students of the month for February. Simpson is an active member of Chamber Choir, marching band, Letterman’s Club, musical, manager for track and field and cross country teams and co-president of youth group at Latrobe United Methodist Church. Additionally, she volunteers at Excela Health in Latrobe Hospital in the medical records department and plays piano and engages in voice lessons. She has been named to Spanish National Honor Society, National Art Honor Society, Tri-M, Fay-West band festival and district band, district chorus and regional chorus. She may attend Grove City College for elementary education. Prosperi is an alter server at Saint Vincent Basilica Parish and volunteers at St. Vincent community picnics. A member of Key Club, he also is a counselor for both St. Vincent “D-it-Up” and Latrobe “Shooting Stars” basketball camps. Prosperi has been named to German National Honor Society and has received the Daughters of the American Revolution American History Award. He is a two-year varsity letterman for lacrosse and a varsity letterman for soccer. He plans to attend an Ivy League university and major in engineering.

Reading Team Successful in Competition
Members of the reading team at Greater Latrobe participated in the annual competition on Monday, March 5, 2012. The group won all four rounds at the competition held at Seton Hill University and placed 8th overall out of the entire county, beating 30 teams.

Letterman’s Club Athlete of the Week Announced.
Sophomore Zack Zavatsky was recently announced as Letterman’s Club Athlete of the Week. Zack won the gold medal, placing first in the 160 pound weight class in the Southwest Regional WPIAL Wrestling Tournament. From this achievement, Zack will now move on to the PIAA State tournament in Hershey, PA. Congratulations Zack!
Saint Vincent Economic Day of Understanding
On Wednesday, March 7, 2012, approximately fifty sophomore students attended the Economic Day of Understanding held at Saint Vincent College. The annual event welcomes sophomore students from Greater Latrobe and Derry Area to learn more about marketing. Presentations from professors taught students about marketing and shared an informative presentation about applying to college. The students were split into groups and given a task to create an attraction for a local amusement park, putting what they learned into action. Representatives from Idlewild and Soakzone, Sandcastle, and Kennywood were present to help students create their ride or attraction. Students were advised to consider the target audience, to create a sales pitch and market their attraction. The final products were ranked and judged.