Practice Makes Perfect

Greater Latrobe Senior High School now offers SAT Prep courses that began on January 28, 2012 and will be held twice a week from 3:00 p.m. through 4:30 p.m., until March 3, 2012.  The school is offering the courses at very reasonable prices, sixty dollars per subject, or one-hundred dollars for both the math and English courses.

Students are able to take private lessons from outside sources, Sylvan Learning Center, which will cost anywhere from $8 to $50 per hour; students taking the school’s course will only be paying three to five dollars per hour. Students can also borrow SAT practice books from the school library, but will have no professional guidance.

Latrobe’s course is a perfect “middle-ground,” says Mr. Cremonese, the AmeriCorps English tutor who will assist in the program.” Not only are you getting over 15 hours of practice questions, taken directly from previous SAT tests, but you are also in a familiar and comfortable environment,” said Cremonese.  Every student who wants to be accepted into a fine college should take Greater Latrobe’s SAT Prep course at least once. 

The SAT is a four hour exam, and it is often thought of as overwhelming.  “By doing practice questions, students will become acquainted with the materials, as well as alleviate test anxiety. This course will also boost students’ confidence, and provide excellent test taking strategies.” said Mr. Burkley, the school’s guidance counselor.

Being prepared for the SAT is crucial. “Sadly, colleges do not look at what kind of person you are, or how big your heart it; they look at your GPA, class rank, and your SAT scores,” expressed Mrs. Kubus, who is teaching the English portion of the prep course, alongside Mr. Duda, and Mr. Cremonese. 

Miss Fedor and Miss Evans are guiding the students to elevated math scores.

Some students are taking this course out of their parents coercing them.    Other students are taking the course because of their personal drive for success, for instance, sophomore, Becca Brubaker. “I am taking the English portion of the SAT Prep class in order to improve my reading comprehension and writing skills, since math and science are my strong subjects,” said Brubaker. 

This course will not only benefit your test taking skills for the SAT, it will also have a positive effect on college tests in the near future.