Top 11 Events From 2011

Top 11 Events From 2011
  1. January 7—Famous young hockey star, Sidney Crosby, is diagnosed with a concussion. Thought to have occurred during the Winter Classic, this injury left the beloved athlete out of the game for approximately ten months. This event was upsetting not only to Pittsburghers, but to Penguins fans across the country.
  2. February 6—After making it all the way to the Super Bowl, the Steelers suffered a 25-31 loss to the Green Bay Packers.
  3. April 29 – The Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton took place at Westminster Abbey in London, England where. The beautiful wedding, aired all around the world, was viewed by an estimated three billion people. Starting at 11:00 a.m. London time—6:00 a.m. EST—people were up at all hours around the world to watch it. From the extravagant decorations to the whimsical attire of the guests, the Royal Wedding was something you did not want to miss.
  4. May 2 – The search for Osama Bin Laden finally ended. A team of Navy Seals killed him in a firefight after his location was discovered by the CIA. Navy Seal Team Six and Americans celebrated a victory for the USA in the war on terrorism.
  5. July 21—NASA sent up its last mission. After thirty years of discovery, the STS-135 marked the final space shuttle launch and returned to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
  6. August 20 – The notorious Kardashians and their mother Kris Jenner marry off the middle child, Kim—for seventy-two days, that is. Totaling about $18 million, this wedding drew a crowd of 4.2 million viewers, only to end in utter disaster.
  7. August 23—A Virginia earthquake was felt all over the east coast. With a magnitude of 5.8, this natural disaster could not only be felt in Pennsylvania, but all the way from New York down to South Carolina.
  8. September 17—The Occupy Wallstreet protests begin, rallying against social and economic inequality. Still continuing today, the protest has spread to cities all over America, including our very own Pittsburgh.
  9. October 5—Steve Jobs passed away due to pancreatic cancer. Famous for being co-founder of Apple Inc., Jobs was well-known around the world for his innovation. Not only is he listed on more than 300 patents, but he is the inventor of the Mac system. No doubt he will always be remembered throughout the generations as a man of progress.
  10. October 18—A wild event occurred in Zanesville, Ohio when Terry Thompson, the owner of an animal reserve, let fifty-six animals loose. Cheetahs, bears, and tigers roamed the interstates of Ohio from that Tuesday evening into the following day. The owner was found dead after an apparent suicide.
  11. December 8—Unpleasant memories from 2007 resurfaced when a man began shooting at Virginia Tech. A 22 year old student from another college, Ross Truett Ashley, shot Officer Deriek W. Crouse and then himself on this upsetting day. New alert systems such as text alerts sent to students’ phones were implemented as a safety system.