The Reality of a Teen Mom

The Reality of a Teen Mom

Television shows such as “16 & Pregnant” and “Teen Mom” claim to show the reality of being a teenager and having a child. Students in Mrs. Gaudino’s Life Span Learning Preschool classes had the opportunity to hear the true reality of the life of a teen mom. Senior, Santannia Hayden, a teen mom, approached Gaudino about visiting her classes to talk about having a child as a teen. The presentation took place on May 4, 2011 during period nine.

Hayden brought her son, Eraz to class the day of the presentation. She spoke to students about dating, working full time at McDonald’s, getting through high school and graduating on time. Hayden discussed her plans to attend nursing school next year and the challenges of raising her son as a single mom without support from her parents. “I respect Satannia for all that she does, and also for coming in to speak to our class,” commented senior Carly Meholic. 

Hayden explained that teen moms do not get as much support as some teens on “16 & Pregnant” and “Teen Mom” do. Hayden also informed the class about the challenges that come along with being pregnant in high school, the stereotypes of teen moms, and how to protect yourself from teen pregnancy.

After the presentation students asked a variety of questions and held a good discussion with Hayden. “Satannia did a fabulous job being ‘real’ with our students. I thought it was very mature and brave of her to come into my class of her peers and talk about her life as a teen mom. Teen pregnancy has a stigma attached to it, and it was nice to hear from a mom who has been there, and is making the best of her situation,” explained Gaudino.