Harrison Leipold – The Masters Recap

The 2011 Masters Golf Tournament was truly one for the ages.  It featured many compelling storylines including a 21 year-old leading going into Sunday’s final round, several Aussies vying for the first green jacket for Australia, a Sunday charge by Tiger Woods, and finally a victory for a virtually unknown.

For the first three days of the tournament, the lead was held by 21 year old Irishman Rory Mcilroy, who would have become the second youngest winner of the famed green jacket had he held on.  Unfortunately for him, everything unraveled after an errant tee shot on hole #10 which led to a triple bogey and bumped him out of the lead.  After a bogey and a double bogey on the following two holes, it became apparent that it was not to be for the young gun.  After shooting a final day 80, Mcilroy finished at -4 and in a tie for 15th.  Though it appeared that the pressure of leading a major on a Sunday got to young Rory, he still has an unbelievable skill set and a good head on his shoulders.  Look for him to learn from this experience and win multiple majors in his long and bright future.

After Mcilroy gave up the lead, the spot was competed for by three men from Australia.  With Adam Scott at -12, Master’s rookie Jason Day at -11, and former U.S. Open winner Geoff Ogilvy at -10 it appeared that for the first time ever the green jacket could be going down under.  But as these men jockeyed for the lead, a Tiger was lurking once again at Augusta.  After starting the day seven strokes back of the lead, Tiger Woods seemed to regain his old form as he was five under after the front nine which was highlighted by an incredible eagle at the par 5 eighth hole.  He even shared the lead at one point late in the day, but was unable to complete the charge after missing short putts at number 12 and 15 for par and eagle, respectively.

With Tiger Woods unable to knock off the Aussies, a man by the name of Charl Schwartzel did.  A name not recognized by many golf fans, the 26 year-old South African had an amazing finish with birdies on 15, 16, 17, and 18 to win the 2011 Masters by 2 strokes at -14.  His first win ever on the PGA Tour, he has now proved that he also has the skills and the poise to win several more tournaments in his career.  That being said, the 2011 Masters will probably be remembered more for its incredible final day excitement than for the man that won.