JV and Freshman Hockey

JV and Freshman Hockey

Greater Latrobe School District is known in the state of Pennsylvania for having a perennial championship contending hockey program. While much attention goes to the varsity hockey team, many people forget about the younger IceCats.

Greater Latrobe Hockey Club has three teams, varsity, junior varsity, and freshman. The JV team consists of students from eight through eleventh grade and the freshman team consists of members from sixth through ninth grade. JV and freshman IceCats both had stellar 2010-2011 hockey seasons.

The Freshman hockey team finished the regular season with a record of 14-1-1. The only loss for the ‘Little IceCats’ was to the Greensburg Salem Golden Lions. Latrobe finished first in their division beating Hollidaysburg record of 13-1-2. As they advanced to the playoffs, the Freshman Ice Cats beat North Alleghany 3-2 on March 21, in the first round of the playoffs. For the second round the Ice Cats took on Bishop Canevin on March 28. They fell to the Crusaders 4-1. “I think we had a really great season,” said starting Freshman goalie Tim Ruppen. “We pulled together as a team and played good games.”

The JV IceCats finished the regular season with a 12-2-4 record. They finished third in their division, falling one game short of both State College and Indiana. The JV team moved on to the playoffs and in the first round beat Peters Township 3-2 on Tuesday, March 22.  In the second round of the playoffs, the Ice Cats fell to the Seneca Valley Indian Braves 3-2 on Tuesday, March 29. “I thought we had a great season, but I think we could have done better,” says junior, Cam Roth.

Freshman and JV IceCats both had fantastic seasons, each making a two game playoff run. “I think overall our season was very successful, even with the big age gap, we still pulled together to win most of our games,” says junior J.T. Douglas, starting goalie of the JV Ice Cats. Congrats on a great season to all of the IceCats.