Senioritis: Sarah Conley

I have had Senioritis since the fourth quarter of my junior year.  I think it started with me that early because several of my friends were seniors last year, and like any disease, it quickly spread to me too.  But as my own senior year began, even though I was already accepted and set on attending Slippery Rock University in the fall of 2011, I tried to keep it so that it didn’t completely take over my school work until it was acceptable to.  So, by keeping myself busy with marching band, Tri-M, and several other things, I managed to keep plugging away, knowing all the while that it wouldn’t be long before senioritis hit me once again.  But this time, I knew it would be worse. 

Sure enough, it was when third quarter started that the first symptom, laziness, kicked in.  I began waiting until the very last possible minute to start my homework every afternoon.  I began watching more TV when I got home from school.  I started to take two hours to do seven math problems.  I started to put-off doing any homework that was due Monday, until the weekend.  And even when the weekend turned up, I still wouldn’t get started on the work until Sunday.  As you can tell, it isn’t looking good for me, especially when I began to stay up later and later every night because I waited too long to start my work.  This resulted in being more sleepy during school, which as everyone knows, does not help a student with senioritis at all. 

Nevertheless, I still have managed to stay on top of my work.  Now, everyone may be wondering how I could possibly do this.  The answer to that is; I have no clue!  I take forever to finish a short assignment and even longer for a big assignment.  As a result, I have become accustomed to doing assignments I didn’t have time to finish the night before during my study hall.  Sometimes, I can be seen walking through the halls with my nose in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” because I didn’t have the time or the focus to read it at midnight the night before it was due.  I have even been known to skip my lunch and stay in the band room, where it is quiet, to study for a test that I have later that afternoon. 

But in spite of all of that, I think that throughout my past 12 years of schooling, my mind and body have adapted a semi-defense system against the extreme effects of senioritis.  Now, while this system does not keep me immune to senioritis, (the fact is, no one is immune from senioritis) it does give my mind crazy adrenaline rushes.  These, I have noticed, are extremely helpful when trying to finish an assignment because it creates this voice in my head that screams, “Finish the assignment NOW or else you are never getting out of here!!!” That is when I realize, I need to do my work…